Favorite OS for PC?

  • siegfried
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile gives directions
      for many different PC OSs.

      I assumed debian would be the favorite platform.

      However, I'm getting kernel panics when try to install debian on my PC. I
      tried in Mar 2007 and I'm getting the same kernel panic now with debian
      4.0r0.

      Given that I'm having such trouble, what would be a good choice? Ubuntu,
      Knoppix, SuSE and Fedora seem to install OK on my PC.

      Thanks,

      Siegfried

    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
        siegfried wrote:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/MasterMakefile gives directions
        > for many different PC OSs.
        >
        > I assumed debian would be the favorite platform.
        >
        > However, I'm getting kernel panics when try to install debian on my PC. I
        > tried in Mar 2007 and I'm getting the same kernel panic now with debian
        > 4.0r0.
        >
        > Given that I'm having such trouble, what would be a good choice? Ubuntu,
        > Knoppix, SuSE and Fedora seem to install OK on my PC.

        The nslu2-linux autobuilder runs Debian Etch.

        I ensure that our toolchain and build infrastructure runs on Debian Etch
        and CentOS 4 (cause those are the two OS's that I run).

        -- Rod
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2007
          Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6 are both used here, and work well. I've not
          yet tested with Fedora 7, but I don't anticipate any troubles with that.