Unslung 6.8: Disk 1 isn't HDD, cannot format it

  • lance_benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
      I bought a Hitachi 20G 2.5" drive to use with one of my NSLU2s. When I
      plug it into a slug with Unslung 6.8 installed (no other drives--booted
      with no drives plugged in) and go to the web interface, Administration,
      Disk page, it says that here is an unformatted drive in Disk 1 (or 2).
      When I tell it to format, after the warning that all data will be lost,
      it says "Disk 1 isn't HDD, cannot format it!". Same in Drive 2.

      I plugged it into Windows XP and was able to see it. I partitioned it
      as FAT32 and formatted it, and successfully copied a file to it. When
      I plugged it back into the slug, it recognized it as FAT32 in either
      Disk 1 or 2, but when I tried to format it I got the same
      message, "Disk 1 isn't HDD".

      Is there something I can do to make this drive usable on the slug? I
      have a DSL linux CD--if I can use this on my laptop to partition the
      drive, what tool do I use and what do I tell it to do?
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
        Wow. Most curious. Sounds almost as if the device is not a standard mass
        storage device.

        Boot the NSLU2 up, telnet in, then plug in the drive, and can you provide
        the following info:

        output from the "dmesg" command
        output from the "mount" command
        output from "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" commands

        Thanks,
        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)"
          <mwester@...> wrote:

          > Wow. Most curious. Sounds almost as if the device is not a
          standard mass
          > storage device.
          >
          > Boot the NSLU2 up, telnet in, then plug in the drive, and can you
          provide
          > the following info:
          >
          > output from the "dmesg" command
          > output from the "mount" command
          > output from "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" commands
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Mike (mwester)

          Sorry to be so long in responding. For reasons unknown to me, I was
          unable to telnet into the slug--no response at all to the login ID
          entry (no password prompt). Today it works. Here are the outputs.

          # dmesg
          Linux version 2.4.22-xfs (unslung@...) (gcc version 3.4.4) #1
          Mon Apr
          10

          18:17:11 PDT 2006
          CPU: XScale-IXP425/IXC1100 revision
          1
          Machine: Intel IXDP425 Development
          Platform
          Warning: bad configuration page, trying to
          continue
          Security risk: creating user accessible mapping for 0x60000000 at
          0xff00f000

          Security risk: creating user accessible mapping for 0x51000000 at
          0xf1000000

          On node 0 totalpages: 8192
          zone(0): 8192 pages.
          zone(1): 0 pages.
          zone(2): 0 pages.
          Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/mtdblock4
          rootfstype=jffs2

          rw init=/linuxrc
          mem=32M@0x00000000
          Relocating machine vectors to
          0xffff0000
          Calibrating delay loop... 263.78
          BogoMIPS
          Memory: 32MB = 32MB total
          Memory: 30280KB available (1581K code, 271K data, 244K
          init)
          Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 3, 32768
          bytes)
          Inode cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 2, 16384
          bytes)
          Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096
          bytes)
          Buffer cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096
          bytes)
          Page-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768
          bytes)
          POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
          PCI Autoconfig: Found Bus 0, Device 1, Function
          0
          PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x1000,
          address=0x4bfff000

          PCI Autoconfig: Found Bus 0, Device 1, Function
          1
          PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x1000,
          address=0x4bffe000

          PCI Autoconfig: Found Bus 0, Device 1, Function
          2
          PCI Autoconfig: BAR 0, Mem, size=0x100,
          address=0x4bffdf00

          PCI: bus0: Fast back to back transfers
          disabled
          Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
          Based upon Swansea University Computer Society
          NET3.039
          Initializing RT netlink socket
          Starting kswapd
          VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
          Journalled Block Device driver
          loaded
          devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch
          (rgooch@...)

          devfs: boot_options: 0x0
          Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996
          okir@...).

          JFFS2 version 2.1. (C) 2001 Red Hat, Inc., designed by Axis
          Communications
          AB.

          i2c-core.o: i2c core module
          i2c-dev.o: i2c /dev entries driver
          module
          i2c-core.o: driver i2c-dev dummy driver
          registered.
          i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm module version 2.6.1
          (20010830)

          pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
          Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
          SERIAL_PCI
          en

          abled
          ttyS00 at 0xff000003 (irq = 15) is a XScale
          UART
          ttyS01 at 0xff001003 (irq = 13) is a XScale
          UART
          RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024
          blocksize

          SCSI subsystem driver Revision:
          1.00
          * host:<NULL>
          IXP425 Flash: Found an alias at 0x800000 for the chip at
          0x0
          cfi_cmdset_0001: Erase suspend on write
          enabled
          0:
          offset=0x0,size=0x20000,blocks=64
          Using buffer write method
          Creating 6 MTD partitions on "IXP425
          Fl
          0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
          0x00040000-0x00060000 : "SysConf"
          0x00060000-0x00160000 : "Kernel"
          0x00160000-0x00180000 : "Ramdisk"
          0x00180000-0x007e0000 : "Flashdisk"
          0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS
          directory"
          usb.c: registered new driver
          usbdevfs
          usb.c: registered new driver hub
          pci probe begin
          ehci_hcd 00:01.2: NEC Corporation USB
          2.0
          ehci_hcd 00:01.2: irq 26, pci mem
          c3872f00
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number
          1
          PCI: 00:01.2 PCI cache line size set incorrectly (0 bytes) by
          BIOS/FW.

          PCI: 00:01.2 PCI cache line size corrected to
          32.
          ehci_hcd 00:01.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Jun-
          19/2.4

          Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
          Device descriptor:18 bytes
          received.
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 5 ports detected
          pci probe ok
          host/usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.3 $ time 18:18:04 Apr 10
          2006
          host/usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode
          enabled
          host/usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface
          driver

          host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc387a000, IRQ
          28
          host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:01.0, NEC Co
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number
          2
          Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
          Device descriptor:18 bytes
          received.
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 3 ports detected
          host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xc3880000, IRQ
          27
          host/usb-ohci.c: usb-00:01.1, NEC Corporation USB
          (#2)
          usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number
          3
          Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
          Device descriptor:18 bytes
          received.
          hub.c: USB hub found
          hub.c: 2 ports detected
          Initializing USB Mass Storage
          driver...
          usb.c: registered new driv
          USB Mass Storage support
          registered.
          i2c-dev.o: Registered 'IXP425 I2C Adapter' as minor
          0
          i2c-core.o: adapter IXP425 I2C Adapter registered as adapter
          0.
          NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
          IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
          IP: routing cache hash table of 512 buckets,
          4Kbytes
          TCP: Hash tables configured (established 2048 bind
          4096)
          IP-Config: No network devices
          available.
          NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux
          NET4.0.
          NetWinder Floating Point Emulator V0.97 (double
          precision)
          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00120000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00140000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00160000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00200000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00220000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00240000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00260000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00280000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x002a0000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x002c0000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x002e0000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00300000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00320000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00340000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00520000

          Unknown but compatible feature node (0x2005) found at offset
          0x00540000

          VFS: Mounted root (jffs2
          filesystem).
          Freeing init memory: 244K
          Module init.
          ixp425_eth:
          Initializing IXP425 NPE Ethernet driver software v.
          1.1
          ixp425_eth: CPU clock speed (approx) = 0
          MHz
          [error] ixEthMiiPhyScan : unexpected Mii PHY ID
          00008201
          ixp425_eth: ixp0 is using the PHY at address
          1
          ixp425_eth: ixp1 is using the PHY at address
          0
          ixp425_eth: ixEthMiiLinkStatus fa
          Can't determine
          the auto negotiated parameters. Using default
          values.
          enable_irq(22) unbalanced from
          c39431bc
          X1226: I2C based RTC driver.
          i2c-core.o: driver X1226
          registered.
          X1226: found X1226 on IXP425 I2C
          Adapter
          i2c-core.o: client [X1226] registered to adapter [IXP425 I2C Adapter]
          (pos.
          0).

          atr is 1f
          ufsd: driver loaded
          hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-2, assigned address
          2
          Device descriptor:8 bytes received.
          Device descriptor:18 bytes received.
          Protocol: 8070i
          *** detect:usb-storage
          * scsi_register: usb-storage-0,
          * scsi_reg, hostno:0 prot is 50
          * scsi_reg, retval->host_no:0
          ! scan_scsis
          do read capacity!!!
          read capacity ok!!!
          The capacity is 39179952
          *** 50
          Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: MP0201H Rev: UB20
          Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
          32 port connect!!!!!
          Partition check:
          /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
          WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
          USB Mass Storage device found at 2
          MSDOS FS: IO charset cp437
          #
          ---
          # mount
          /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
          /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
          usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
          /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data/HDD_2_1_1 type vfat (rw)
          #
          ---
          # fdisk -l /dev/sda

          Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 19130 cylinders
          Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

          Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
          /dev/sda1 1 19125 19583203+ c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
          Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
          phys=(1023, 254, 63) should be (1023, 63, 32)
          #
          ---
          # fdisk -l /dev/sdb
          #
        • lance_benson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lance_benson"
            <lance_benson@...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)"
            > <mwester@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow. Most curious. Sounds almost as if the device is not a
            > standard mass
            > > storage device.
            > >
            > > Boot the NSLU2 up, telnet in, then plug in the drive, and can you
            > provide
            > > the following info:
            > >
            > > output from the "dmesg" command
            > > output from the "mount" command
            > > output from "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" commands

            Mike (et. al.). After I did the dmesg, mount, and fdisk, I was able
            to format the drive and then unsling to it. Thanks. (Did maybe the
            mount command do what was needed to make the drive recognizable?)

            Lance