CUPS printing problems.

  • bty597733
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
      I have my slug running unslung 5.5, my primary disk connected to
      Disk 1 on a usb hub (where my printer is also connected), with Disk
      2 being used for my backup disk. I have installed cups as per the
      instructions at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter and
      have access to the CUPS pages on port 631, have configured my
      printer using these pages and have the following printers.conf file
      in /opt/etc/cups:

      <DefaultPrinter Epson915>
      Info Colour Photo Printer
      Location Study
      DeviceURI usb:/dev/lp0
      State Idle
      StateTime 1183326029
      Accepting Yes
      Shared Yes
      JobSheets none none
      QuotaPeriod 0
      PageLimit 0
      KLimit 0
      OpPolicy default
      ErrorPolicy stop-printer
      </Printer>

      I can configure Windows to see this printer, and I can see print
      jobs in the CUPS pages. However, none of them print! CUPS reports"
      Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...". When setting up
      the printer I select the Device as "LPD//LPR Host or Printer", enter
      the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and model to
      RAW.

      Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?

      I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this chmod is
      lost after a re-boot of the slug.

      My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb 2,
      while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the disk 2
      light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected to the
      usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok (we'll see
      if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      With thanks, Jase.
    • bty597733
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2007
        Making some progress with CUPS on my slug… Running unslung 5.5 I
        have my primary hard disk is plugged into Disk 1, and a hard disk in
        Disk 2 for scheduled backups.

        If I unplug my backup disk, and plug my printer into Disk 2, the
        printer works as expected. However, I cannot seem to be able to use
        my Trust 4 port USB2 hub (HU-4440P) to connect my printer.

        With the hub plugged into Disk 1, I get the error:

        "Unable to open parallel port device file "/dev/lp0": No such device"

        With the hub plugged into Disk 2, I get the error:

        "/opt/lib/cups/backend/parallel failed"

        I know the permissions for /dev/lp0 are correct as I have modified
        the S88cups startup script in /opt/etc/init.d to include the chom
        777 /dev/lp0 command (as this seemed to be lost after a reboot):

        #!/bin/sh
        #
        # Startup script for cups as standalone server
        #

        # Make sure the device has a /dev entry
        # Make device if not present (not devfs)
        if ( [ ! -c /dev/lp0 ] ) then
        # Make /dev/net directory if needed
        mknod /dev/lp0 c 180 0
        fi

        chmod 777 /dev/lp0

        # Make sure the printer driver is running
        if ( !(lsmod | grep "^printer" -q) ); then
        insmod /opt/lib/modules/printer.o
        fi

        if [ -n "`pidof cupsd`" ]; then
        /bin/killall cupsd 2>/dev/null
        fi

        /opt/sbin/cupsd

        Can any one help me?

        Many thanks, Jason.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@...>
        wrote:

        > I have my slug running unslung 5.5, my primary disk connected to
        > Disk 1 on a usb hub (where my printer is also connected), with
        Disk
        > 2 being used for my backup disk. I have installed cups as per the
        > instructions at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter
        and
        > have access to the CUPS pages on port 631, have configured my
        > printer using these pages and have the following printers.conf
        file
        > in /opt/etc/cups:
        >
        > <DefaultPrinter Epson915>
        > Info Colour Photo Printer
        > Location Study
        > DeviceURI usb:/dev/lp0
        > State Idle
        > StateTime 1183326029
        > Accepting Yes
        > Shared Yes
        > JobSheets none none
        > QuotaPeriod 0
        > PageLimit 0
        > KLimit 0
        > OpPolicy default
        > ErrorPolicy stop-printer
        > </Printer>
        >
        > I can configure Windows to see this printer, and I can see print
        > jobs in the CUPS pages. However, none of them print! CUPS reports"
        > Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...". When setting
        up
        > the printer I select the Device as "LPD//LPR Host or Printer",
        enter
        > the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and model
        > RAW.
        >
        > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?
        >
        > I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this chmod is
        > lost after a re-boot of the slug.
        >
        > My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb 2,
        > while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the disk 2
        > light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected to
        the
        > usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok (we'll
        see
        > if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).
        >
        > Any help would be much appreciated.
        >
        > With thanks, Jase.

      • bty597733
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2007
          After reading through the wiki again I spotted that unslung 5.5
          does not play nice with many usb 2 hubs. So I've purchased a Mikomi
          4 port mini USB 1.1 hub, and the good news is I can now print with
          the printer plugged into this hub in Disk 2. However, my 2nd hard
          disk is no longer reconised, so I can't back Disk 1 up on a regular
          basis!

          Does any one know of a solution to this problem, so close yet...

          wrote:

> [...]
          setting
          > up
          > > the printer I select the Device as "LPD//LPR Host or Printer",
          > enter
          > > the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and model
          > > RAW.
          > >
          > > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?
          > >
          > > I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this chmod
          is
          > > lost after a re-boot of the slug.
          > >
          > > My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb 2,
          > > while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the disk
          2
          > > light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected to
          > the
          > > usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok (we'll
          > see
          > > if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).

        • bty597733
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2007
            Reading through the wiki some more it seems that I may need to
            upgrade to Unsling 6.8 to be able to use a usb hub? Can someone
            confirm this? If so, what would be involved in doing this,
            considering the changes in disks etc. I just need to run 2 disks
            (with scheduled backup), with one disk connected to a hub so I can
            also add a printer. I have the scheduled backup working now, and can
            print my my printer (although not both at the same time obviously).

            If unslung is not mounting the disk because of the hub, would it be
            possible to manually mount the disk?

            Any help very much appericiated, I've got my slug running, twonky
            vision, openssh, rsync, and cups, as well as running my web site.
            Just need to get this problem sorted and I'm almost there...

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > > the Device URI as "usb:/dev/lp0", and the printer make and
            model
            > > > RAW.
            > > >
            > > > Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong?
            > > >
            > > > I have "chmod 777 /dev/lp0", however; I have noticed this
            chmod
            > is
            > > > lost after a re-boot of the slug.
            > > >
            > > > My primary disk and printer are connected to Disk 1 via a usb
            2,
            > > > while my backup disk is on disk 2. I have noticed that the
            disk
            > 2
            > > > light does not show on my slug when the printer is connected
            > > the
            > > > usb 2! The linksys interface reports that the disk is ok
            (we'll
            > > see
            > > > if tonight's scheduled back runs as planned).

          • bty597733
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
              How strange... my slung has now decided to play nice with my back up
              hand disk and printer in Disk 2! I suspect that keeping the printer
              off the hub until after the slug has fulled powered up may have
              something to do with it, but need to run some more checks first.