Virtual Hosting with THTTPD problems

  • bty597733
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
      Following the instructions at http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/HowTo/VirtualHostingWithTHTTPD I have added a managed
      to host a web site on my slug. However; I now can't access my web
      admin page.

      I followed the instructions and set up the vhosts directory and
      user, followed all of the instructions to create a directory for my
      domain name, and set-up a test web site. I modified my thttpd.conf
      file as directed, and now when I go to my url (externally), my
      router forwards port 80 to my slug and I get my new page. However,
      if I try to access the linksys admin page (using /login.cgi
      or /sharename) I get the following message:

      The requested URL `%.80s' resolves to a file outside the permitted
      web server directory tree.

      I can access the linksys web page from my network, but when ever I
      login to my data, I don't see any information!

      For some reasons my thttpd can no longer see my data etc. Has any
      one else had this problem? Any ideas what it can be? Use the web
      page daily to access my data remotely so any advice is really
      appreciated.

      With thanks, Jase.
    • bty597733
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
        Ok, sorted part of my problem out…

        I can now access the linksys web page remotely by creating another
        dynamic domain (using dyndns) that points to my router, and creating
        a link in the /home/httpd directory of that domain name which points
        to the /home/httpd/html directory. E.g.

        cd /home/httpd
        ln –s html www.mydomain.com

        Obvious when I think about it, but there you go.

        However, I still have one big issue remaining… When I log into my
        private data on the linksys web page it shows I have no data! It
        doesn't prompt me for my username and password, and I suspect it is
        taking the vhosts login as used by the web server, which cannot see
        my data.

        Am I on the right lines? How can I get to my data from the linksys
        web page now it's been modified to use virtual hosts?

        Jase.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@...>
        wrote:

        > Following the instructions at http://www.nslu2-
        > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/VirtualHostingWithTHTTPD I have added a
        managed
        > to host a web site on my slug. However; I now can't access my web
        > admin page.
        >
        > I followed the instructions and set up the vhosts directory and
        > user, followed all of the instructions to create a directory for
        my
        > domain name, and set-up a test web site. I modified my thttpd.conf
        > file as directed, and now when I go to my url (externally), my
        > router forwards port 80 to my slug and I get my new page. However,
        > if I try to access the linksys admin page (using /login.cgi
        > or /sharename) I get the following message:
        >
        > The requested URL `%.80s' resolves to a file outside the permitted
        > web server directory tree.
        >
        > I can access the linksys web page from my network, but when ever I
        > login to my data, I don't see any information!
        >
        > For some reasons my thttpd can no longer see my data etc. Has any
        > one else had this problem? Any ideas what it can be? Use the web
        > page daily to access my data remotely so any advice is really
        > appreciated.
        >
        > With thanks, Jase.

      • Siles
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2007
          bty597733 wrote:
          > Following the instructions at http://www.nslu2-
          > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/VirtualHostingWithTHTTPD I have added a managed
          > to host a web site on my slug. However; I now can't access my web
          > admin page.
          >
          > I followed the instructions and set up the vhosts directory and
          > user, followed all of the instructions to create a directory for my
          > domain name, and set-up a test web site. I modified my thttpd.conf
          > file as directed, and now when I go to my url (externally), my
          > router forwards port 80 to my slug and I get my new page. However,
          > if I try to access the linksys admin page (using /login.cgi
          > or /sharename) I get the following message:
          >
          > The requested URL `%.80s' resolves to a file outside the permitted
          > web server directory tree.
          >
          > I can access the linksys web page from my network, but when ever I
          > login to my data, I don't see any information!
          >
          > For some reasons my thttpd can no longer see my data etc. Has any
          > one else had this problem? Any ideas what it can be? Use the web
          > page daily to access my data remotely so any advice is really
          > appreciated.
          >
          > With thanks, Jase.

          Hi Jase,

          I have had the same problem, not only using the vhosts but with the
          others suggested in the "how to's".
          What I did was to have two lines in thttpd.conf. One points to
          /www/httpd/html and the other to /home/httpd/html. I comment out the
          approptiate line and when I need to get into the admin pages I SSH in
          and edit then reboot the slug. Not elegant but works.

          Complicating this is my ISP blocking port 80 and needing to port forward
          to 8080. Of course they will kindly unblock 80 for $116 a month as a
          commercial account. I also have had a problem with creating a new user
          as outlined in the "how to" articles. Every time my web site is reached
          a login password is requested. Never did find a workarounf fot that, so
          I put my /www directory in ADMIN 2.

          BTW my website is running on an 8GB Sony flash drive as Disk 2 and a 4GB
          Memorex flash drive. Very lowpower and completely silent.

          Siles
        • bty597733
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
            SIles, thanks for the info, but logging in via ssh everytime I want
            to see a different web site seems a complete pain to me.

            Thi is fustrations as I;d got dyndns set up with 2 domain name that
            point to my router, which in turn forwarded port 80 to my slug, and
            the virtual hosting was pointing my my html files for my new site
            (on one domain), and a to the existing web admin page on another.

            I can't get the linksys page to see any of my data while virtual
            hosting is switched on, but I have found a way round the problem...

            I've switched off virtual hosting and gone back to the original
            setup. I've create a new index.html file in the /home/httpd/html
            directory for my home page. Your browser will go to index.html
            before trying index.cgi (which is what the linksys page uses).
            Thesefore I go to my web site, and just need to type /index.cgi to
            access the linksys page (or provide a link on my site to this). It
            means I can;t have multiple sites as possible under vistual hosting,
            but at leat I can have a web site plus full usability of the linksys
            pages.

            To ensure I don't screw anything up with the linksys pages I've only
            created index.html in the /html directory, and put everything else
            my site references in a new /content sub-directory. The only thing
            you need to do to ensure your new pages work is to chmod 775 them
            after copying them to the slug.

            By if anyone can access the data on your disk using virtual hosts
            I'd be very interested.

            With thanks, Jase.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Siles <siles.bazerman@...>
            wrote:

            > bty597733 wrote:
            > > Following the instructions at http://www.nslu2-
            > > linux.org/wiki/HowTo/VirtualHostingWithTHTTPD I have added a
            managed
            > > to host a web site on my slug. However; I now can't access my
            web
            > > admin page.
            > >
            > > I followed the instructions and set up the vhosts directory and
            > > user, followed all of the instructions to create a directory for
            my
            > > domain name, and set-up a test web site. I modified my
            thttpd.conf
            > > file as directed, and now when I go to my url (externally), my
            > > router forwards port 80 to my slug and I get my new page.
            However,
            > > if I try to access the linksys admin page (using /login.cgi
            > > or /sharename) I get the following message:
            > >
            > > The requested URL `%.80s' resolves to a file outside the
            permitted
            > > web server directory tree.
            > >
            > > I can access the linksys web page from my network, but when ever
            > > login to my data, I don't see any information!
            > >
            > > For some reasons my thttpd can no longer see my data etc. Has
            any
            > > one else had this problem? Any ideas what it can be? Use the web
            > > page daily to access my data remotely so any advice is really
            > > appreciated.
            > >
            > > With thanks, Jase.
            > >

            > Hi Jase,
            >
            > I have had the same problem, not only using the vhosts but with the
            > others suggested in the "how to's".
            > What I did was to have two lines in thttpd.conf. One points to
            > /www/httpd/html and the other to /home/httpd/html. I comment out
            the
            > approptiate line and when I need to get into the admin pages I SSH
            in
            > and edit then reboot the slug. Not elegant but works.
            >
            > Complicating this is my ISP blocking port 80 and needing to port
            forward
            > to 8080. Of course they will kindly unblock 80 for $116 a month as
            > commercial account. I also have had a problem with creating a new
            user
            > as outlined in the "how to" articles. Every time my web site is
            reached
            > a login password is requested. Never did find a workarounf fot
            that, so
            > I put my /www directory in ADMIN 2.
            >
            > BTW my website is running on an 8GB Sony flash drive as Disk 2 and
            a 4GB
            > Memorex flash drive. Very lowpower and completely silent.
            >
            > Siles

          • Peter Richard
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
              Are you trying this with two copies of thttpd running as described
              at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheThttpdWebserver ? By
              using the second copy at port 80 for standard websever and the
              setting the original to use port 8080, I have access to both the
              configuration webpages by using http://myslughost:8080/ and to
              regular webpages at http://slughost/ which you would configure with
              virtual hosting in it's conf file.

              peter

            • bty597733
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
                Peter, not using 2 instances of thttpd as my work are security nuts
                and have locked out all available ports. Need to keep everything on
                port 80 which is the virtual hosting would be perfect (if I could
                see my data of course).

                Jase.

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Richard <pdfrichard@...>