Conf Partition on both Drives

  • fatmcgav
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2007
      Hi there,

      Just a quick question... I've got a Slug running Unslung 6.8, unslinged to a
      4Gb Flash disk on Usb Port 2, with a 250gb Hdd on Port 1.

      The problem i'm having is that both were formatted through the web-front
      end, and both have a conf section. Is this really necessary?
      As i've found some funny things happening over the past couple of days with
      configuration files copying over to the wrong one, or not loading correctly.

      This has recently led to me loosing my customised /etc/passwd file because i
      didnt have the HDD switched on when i booted the Slug, and a reboot with it
      on didnt seem to solve it...

      Any ideas if i can get away with Reformatting the HDD as one partition on an
      external box, and then plug it back into the slug?

      Also, whats the deal with NTFS support? Advisable or not?

      Any info appreicated.

      Cheers
      Gavin
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21, 2007
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/WhichUSBPortforUnslung6 describes
        the situation that you are encountering, and provides a rule to follow that
        ensures consistent behavior in that situation.

        Please update the wiki to put this information, or a link to this
        information, where you expected to find it. :-)

        Mike (mwester)

        > Just a quick question... I've got a Slug running Unslung 6.8, unslinged to
        > 4Gb Flash disk on Usb Port 2, with a 250gb Hdd on Port 1.
        >
        > The problem i'm having is that both were formatted through the web-front
        > end, and both have a conf section. Is this really necessary?
        > As i've found some funny things happening over the past couple of days
        with
        > configuration files copying over to the wrong one, or not loading
        correctly.

        > This has recently led to me loosing my customised /etc/passwd file because
        > didnt have the HDD switched on when i booted the Slug, and a reboot with
        it
        > on didnt seem to solve it...
        >
        > Any ideas if i can get away with Reformatting the HDD as one partition on
        an
        > external box, and then plug it back into the slug?
        >
        > Also, whats the deal with NTFS support? Advisable or not?
        >
        > Any info appreicated.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Gavin
        > --

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2007
          On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 07:55 -0700, fatmcgav wrote:

          > Also, whats the deal with NTFS support?

          The only advantage of ntfs is that you are able
          to read the disk on a windows system without extra
          software.

          The disadvantages:
          1) It is not possible to store owner ship or
          other posix permissions on ntfs.
          2) The driver is buggy and a sure way to
          hang/crash your slug if you do lots of
          writes to that disk

          > Advisable or not?

          No.

          --
          marceln
        • sfoskett
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, fatmcgav <fatmcgav@...> wrote:
            > The problem i'm having is that both were formatted through the web-front
            > end, and both have a conf section. Is this really necessary?
            > As i've found some funny things happening over the past couple of
            days with
            > configuration files copying over to the wrong one, or not loading
            correctly.

            I too am having troubles with the dual conf partitions created with
            two formatted disks. In my case, I unslung to a 1 GB flash drive in
            port 2 and mounted a 500 GB USB hard disk in port 1. I will now
            reconfigure the system with the flash disk in port 1 and the hard disk
            in port 2 as suggested in WhichUSBPortforUnslung6. I guess having an
            ext3-formatted disk in port 1 might work, too, but am not sure.

            Luckily this is still a testing situation so I'm not too worried about
            stability or data loss. But soon I will be risking WAF-related issues
            if I can't get this thing stable! :)

            Ped Xing