Broken conf partition .. how to reset??

  • barunio
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2007

      I am using the most recent Unslung firmware.

      The flash drive that I used to unsling my nslu2 -- it was connected to
      usb port 2 -- recently died. I didn't realize what the problem was
      right away and in trying to diagnose it I started messing with the
      conf partition of my hard drive connected to usb port 1 (the drive
      with all my data). bad idea; i ended up breaking the conf partition
      of that drive such it no longer automounts and i can't log into the
      web admin interface when it's plugged in.

      i have since then unslung to a new flash drive on port 2, but i still
      have the same problem with my large hard drive on port 1.

      i don't have any easy way to connect directly to that hard drive
      (because it is ext3 formatted and i don't have a linux box), and
      i don't have any other drives large enough to backup the files in the
      data partition anyway, so simply reformatting the large hard drive and
      putting the data back on it isn't an option for me.

      is there any way i can just repair the conf partition of my hard drive
      while leaving the data partition untouched??

      as a secondary note -- is it necessary that the hard drive connected
      to port 1 (not the drive i am unslinging to) be formatted by the
      nslu2, or can i use a normal fat/ ntfs formatted drive with it? if i
      can, then how is the appropriate conf partition created for the fat/
      ntfs drive? i've been looking for that info on the wiki but couldn't
      find it.. this would be useful in the future because it would allow me
      to connect to the drive directly as well as through the nslu2.

      Thanks!