Re: [nslu2-general] Transfer speed using Rsync vs FTP

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
      What does "top" (or similar utility) say while the transfer is happening?

      I'd guess that your performance is constrained by the encryption going on in
      the SSH session. Try setting up rsync so that you don't need the ssh
      session. I use rsyncd on my NSLU2s, and see transfer rates several times
      faster.

      Mike (mwester)

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
        Hey Mike!

        > What does "top" (or similar utility) say while the transfer is
        happening?

        It shows that ssh process takes about 75% of the cpu and rsync, more
        or less, the rest. Yes you're right, I guess that ssh is forcing the
        cpu a lot with the encryption...

        Sorry guys, I didn't thought first to try this...

        thank you

        Carlos
      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
          On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 08:29 -0500, Mike (mwester) wrote:

          > I'd guess that your performance is constrained by the encryption going
          > on in the SSH session.

          You can gain some performance if you use the blowfish encryption instead
          of the default aes but it is still slow.

          With the default setup the throughput is about 700 kb/s but with
          blowfish i am able to transfer 1.2 mb/s.

          > Try setting up rsync so that you don't need the ssh session. I use
          > rsyncd on my NSLU2s, and see transfer rates several times faster.

          If you want the speed don't use "ssh".

          --
          marceln
        • realpsychodad
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

            > > I'd guess that your performance is constrained by the encryption
            going
            > > on in the SSH session.

            Hi

            How can I use rsync without encryption? Did not see the option ... but
            there are a lot of them ;-)
            That would also make it easier to sync different NSLU2 without that ssh-
            key stuff.

            by

            Psychodad
          • ccarrillomanzanares
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2007
              > > > I'd guess that your performance is constrained by the encryption
              > going
              > > > on in the SSH session.

              > How can I use rsync without encryption? Did not see the option ... but
              > there are a lot of them ;-)
              > That would also make it easier to sync different NSLU2 without that ssh-
              > key stuff.

              Yes, you're right Psychodad, how? ;-)... I was googling and found
              something about the rsync daemon, but didn't tried yet :)...

              http://transamrit.net/docs/rsync/

              Marcel, thank you, blowfish speed up to 1.3kb/s, here is the command
              for those who don't know yet:

              rsync -aru --password-file=/etc/rsync-sec --progress --delete --force
              --append --partial -e "ssh -l user -c blowfish" /Data/
              use@192.168.0.2:/Data

              I will keep looking, thank you all for the answers.

              Carlos