Maxtor OneTouch III Mini SpinDown Question

  • michael_peter_thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007

      I've unslung my NSLU2 with 6.8-beta with a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini on
      the disk 2 port. I would like to set the drive to spin down after a
      period of inactivity. I followed all the steps outlined in the
      SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch Wiki page (crontab change, /var and
      /dev as ramdisk, /dev/sda1 mounted with noatime), but still can't get
      the disk to spin down after 3 minutes of no activity as it does when
      the drive is attached to my PC.

      I suspect there is still some application or package that is touching
      the drive every every few minutes. Are there techniques that I can
      use to determine what application is touching the drive or what files
      are being read/written?

      Thanks,

      Mike Thompson
    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2007
        On 5/31/07, michael_peter_thompson <michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've unslung my NSLU2 with 6.8-beta with a Maxtor OneTouch III Mini on
        > the disk 2 port. I would like to set the drive to spin down after a
        > period of inactivity. I followed all the steps outlined in the
        > SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch Wiki page (crontab change, /var and
        > /dev as ramdisk, /dev/sda1 mounted with noatime), but still can't get
        > the disk to spin down after 3 minutes of no activity as it does when
        > the drive is attached to my PC.
        >
        > I suspect there is still some application or package that is touching
        > the drive every every few minutes. Are there techniques that I can
        > use to determine what application is touching the drive or what files
        > are being read/written?

        Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
        is updating its log file every 5 seconds.

        carl
      • michael_peter_thompson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lowenstein"
          <clowenstein@...> wrote:
          > Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
          > is updating its log file every 5 seconds.
          >
          > carl

          Yes, I do have the ext3 filesystem as it is the drive that was unslung.

          Looking more into this, it appears I can get the OneTouch III mini
          drive to spin down by doing the following:

          1. Modify /etc/crontab to the following:

          0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull &>/dev/null
          1 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/WatchDog &>/dev/null
          2 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null

          2. Create /unslung/rc.bootbin as described on
          SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch wiki page to make /var and /dev use
          ramdisks.

          3. Create /unslung/rc.local with the following:

          #!/bin/sh
          /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
          /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1

          #/usr/sbin/CheckResetButton 2>/dev/null
          #/usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton 2>/dev/null
          #/usr/sbin/do_umount 2>/dev/null
          /bin/chmod 775 /share 2>/dev/null
          /bin/chown admin.everyone /share/hdd/ 2>/dev/null
          /bin/chown admin.everyone /share 2>/dev/null
          /etc/rc.d/rc.quota 2>/dev/null
          /usr/sbin/init_media 2>/dev/null
          /bin/echo "$HOSTNAME: boot complete!"; check_status

          return 0

          NOTE: CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton are commented out.

          4. Create /unslung/rc.quickset with the following:

          #!/bin/sh

          return 0

          This disables sbin/QuickSet, sbin/USB_Detect and sbin/onetouch_detect.

          I'm still working to determine what specific process that I removed
          above is the culprit, but my testing so far seems to indicate that it
          is CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton. If I add these back in the
          drive will no longer spin down which seems strange. I'll get more
          information and post back here.

          Mike
        • colincliff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
            Hi Mike,

            I am having the same problem with a Maxtor ontouch III mini.
            Can you confirm that this process did indeed enable spin down on your drive?

            thanks
            Colin

            michael_peter_thompson wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Lowenstein"
            > <clowenstein@...> wrote:
            >> Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
            >> is updating its log file every 5 seconds.
            >>
            >> carl
            >
            > Yes, I do have the ext3 filesystem as it is the drive that was unslung.
            >
            > Looking more into this, it appears I can get the OneTouch III mini
            > drive to spin down by doing the following:
            >
            > 1. Modify /etc/crontab to the following:

            > 0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull &>/dev/null
            > 1 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/WatchDog &>/dev/null
            > 2 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null
            >
            > 2. Create /unslung/rc.bootbin as described on
            > SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch wiki page to make /var and /dev use
            > ramdisks.
            >
            > 3. Create /unslung/rc.local with the following:

            > #!/bin/sh
            > /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
            > /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
            >
            > #/usr/sbin/CheckResetButton 2>/dev/null
            > #/usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton 2>/dev/null
            > #/usr/sbin/do_umount 2>/dev/null
            > /bin/chmod 775 /share 2>/dev/null
            > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share/hdd/ 2>/dev/null
            > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share 2>/dev/null
            > /etc/rc.d/rc.quota 2>/dev/null
            > /usr/sbin/init_media 2>/dev/null
            > /bin/echo "$HOSTNAME: boot complete!"; check_status
            >
            > return 0
            >
            > NOTE: CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton are commented out.
            >
            > 4. Create /unslung/rc.quickset with the following:

            > #!/bin/sh
            >
            > return 0
            >
            > This disables sbin/QuickSet, sbin/USB_Detect and sbin/onetouch_detect.
            >
            > I'm still working to determine what specific process that I removed
            > above is the culprit, but my testing so far seems to indicate that it
            > is CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton. If I add these back in the
            > drive will no longer spin down which seems strange. I'll get more
            > information and post back here.
            >
            > Mike

          • Mike Thompson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2007
              Hi Colin,

              I have since given up trying to get my unslung NSLU2 to spin down. I
              did get to the point of getting the Maxtor one-touch to spin down, but
              then ran into problems of a drive failure occurring when the drive was
              attempting to spin up again. I don't know of this was an issue with the
              NSLU2 or the Maxtor drive itself.

              I have since upgraded to to Debian and will likely try to get spin down
              working again under that environment once I have some free time.

              Mike Thompson

              colincliff wrote:

              > Hi Mike,
              >
              > I am having the same problem with a Maxtor ontouch III mini.
              > Can you confirm that this process did indeed enable spin down on your drive?
              >
              > thanks
              > Colin
              >
              > michael_peter_thompson wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:nslu2-general%40yahoogroups.com>, "Carl Lowenstein"
              > > <clowenstein@...> wrote:
              > >> Do you have an ext3 file system on this drive? If so, by default it
              > >> is updating its log file every 5 seconds.
              > >>
              > >> carl
              > >
              > > Yes, I do have the ext3 filesystem as it is the drive that was unslung.
              > >
              > > Looking more into this, it appears I can get the OneTouch III mini
              > > drive to spin down by doing the following:
              > >
              > > 1. Modify /etc/crontab to the following:

              > > 0 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/CheckDiskFull &>/dev/null
              > > 1 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/WatchDog &>/dev/null
              > > 2 0 * * * root /usr/sbin/hwclock -s &>/dev/null
              > >
              > > 2. Create /unslung/rc.bootbin as described on
              > > SetSpinDownTimeOnMaxtorOneTouch wiki page to make /var and /dev use
              > > ramdisks.
              > >
              > > 3. Create /unslung/rc.local with the following:

              > > #!/bin/sh
              > > /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
              > > /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
              > >
              > > #/usr/sbin/CheckResetButton 2>/dev/null
              > > #/usr/sbin/CheckPowerButton 2>/dev/null
              > > #/usr/sbin/do_umount 2>/dev/null
              > > /bin/chmod 775 /share 2>/dev/null
              > > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share/hdd/ 2>/dev/null
              > > /bin/chown admin.everyone /share 2>/dev/null
              > > /etc/rc.d/rc.quota 2>/dev/null
              > > /usr/sbin/init_media 2>/dev/null
              > > /bin/echo "$HOSTNAME: boot complete!"; check_status
              > >
              > > return 0
              > >
              > > NOTE: CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton are commented out.
              > >
              > > 4. Create /unslung/rc.quickset with the following:

              > > #!/bin/sh
              > >
              > > return 0
              > >
              > > This disables sbin/QuickSet, sbin/USB_Detect and sbin/onetouch_detect.
              > >
              > > I'm still working to determine what specific process that I removed
              > > above is the culprit, but my testing so far seems to indicate that it
              > > is CheckResetButton and CheckPowerButton. If I add these back in the
              > > drive will no longer spin down which seems strange. I'll get more
              > > information and post back here.
              > >
              > > Mike

            • Fernando Carolo
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
                On 10/15/07, Mike Thompson <michael.p.thompson@...> wrote:
                > Hi Colin,
                >
                > I have since given up trying to get my unslung NSLU2 to spin down. I
                > did get to the point of getting the Maxtor one-touch to spin down, but
                > then ran into problems of a drive failure occurring when the drive was
                > attempting to spin up again. I don't know of this was an issue with the
                > NSLU2 or the Maxtor drive itself.

                Mike,

                did you check this wiki page
                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent?
                A friend of mine had a similar problem running Debian on a slug, using
                a Seagate disk. After a spin down, the kernel would report a timeout
                waiting for the disk to spin up again. Setting a kernel parameter
                through /sys/class/scsi_disk fixed the problem. Maybe this can help
                you.

                Regards,

                --
                Fernando Carolo
                "Ignore the noise. Make some signal" -- Nathan Torkington
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 15, 2007
                  Fernando,

                  It sounds like that could make a difference. I'll give it a try.
                  Thanks for passing the link along.

                  Mike Thompson