Is the NSLU2 insanely slow or am I doing something wrong?

  • John Klimek
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2007
      I've purchased an NSLU2 about 6 months ago and am using an USB
      enclosure. (it supports USB 2)

      I'm storing my iTunes music on that drive but when I access it via
      Windows File Sharing (eg. Samba) it is very, very, very slow when I
      browse directories or try to transfer a file.

      Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

      Thanks,
      John
    • jmk396

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2007
          On Sun, 2007-05-06 at 23:42 -0400, John Klimek wrote:

          > I'm storing my iTunes music on that drive but when I access it via
          > Windows File Sharing (eg. Samba) it is very, very, very slow when I
          > browse directories or try to transfer a file.
          >
          > Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

          1) The slug isn't as fast as a normal system
          2) There is no way to compare the speed users
          experience. We need hard numbers.

          The expected transfer speeds of large files is something
          like 3 to 4 mb/s.

          Listing a directory with a large number of files is slow.
          I did a directory listing on 4000 files which took 10 seconds.

          SEE ALSO:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/Performance

          --
          marceln