Re: Anyone without an external drive

  • tbering2002
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:17 +0000, samuelgilesmiller wrote:
      >
      > > Looks like ucslugc has been abandonded... it there a way (reasonably)
      > > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?
      >
      > It really depends on what you want to do with the slug.
      >
      > It boots from the internal flash and there is a minimal set
      > of utilities but hardly any space to install more.
      >
      > You could use a external nfsroot but that still requires some
      > space on a other device.
      >
      > --
      > marceln

      I set my slug to boot over NFS. That worked great. I didn't want the
      noise of the external hard drive.

      Nowadays, I am booting Ubuntu off a 16 GB memory stick in my laptop.
      As I write this, my laptop is making no noise whatsoever. Even the
      processor fan has spun down. The memory stick has all my files on it,
      with about 55% space used, and 45% free.

      With the price of USB memory keys, you might want to just use a memory
      key, but NFS works too.
    • johannes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 20, 2007
        samuelgilesmiller wrote:
        > is there a way (reasonably)
        > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?

        I'd also be interested in this, because I don't want the noise of a
        harddrive. I am currently using OpenSlug wich I unslung to a USB
        Memory stick. The problem is I don't have a place to swap to: Swapping
        on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly, whereas
        swapping onto an external HDD brings back the noise problem...

        Johannes
      • lance_benson
        Message 3 of 8 , May 21, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, johannes <jjh_nospam@...> wrote:

          > Swapping on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly

          There have been many assertions about this, and it may well vary by
          brand, but I have been running Unslung 5.5 off of a 512mb memory stick
          with no special settings for the swap file 24/7 for about 18 months as
          a music and file server (with a separate hard drive containing the
          data) with no problems, knock on wood. For the most part, there have
          not been many postings about USB drives having failed. More data would
          be good. I have to admit my own guilt in waiting for someone else to
          post that additional data. It may not be as big a problem in practice
          as has been suggested. Making backups is of course recommended.
        • mujjauk
          Message 4 of 8 , May 21, 2007
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, johannes <jjh_nospam@...> wrote:

            > samuelgilesmiller wrote:
            > > is there a way (reasonably)
            > > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?
            >
            > I'd also be interested in this, because I don't want the noise of a
            > harddrive. I am currently using OpenSlug wich I unslung to a USB
            > Memory stick. The problem is I don't have a place to swap to:
            Swapping
            > on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly, whereas
            > swapping onto an external HDD brings back the noise problem...
            >
            > Johannes

            I boot from a mem stick and keep my files on a pair of 2.5" HDDs on an
            unpowered hub. They are placed behind a TV cabinet and can't be heard
            at all, even when accessing from a couple of feet away.

            Worth considering as the price of 2.5" has come down a lot.
          • johannes
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2007
              mujjauk wrote:
              > I boot from a mem stick and keep my files on a pair of
              > 2.5" HDDs on an unpowered hub. They are placed behind a
              > TV cabinet and can't be heard at all, even when
              > accessing from a couple of feet away. Worth considering
              > as the price of 2.5" has come down a lot.
              Yes, that would be an option, too. But I already bought a 3.5" HDD and
              I don't want to spend more money just for a swapping device...

              lance_benson wrote:
              > I have been running Unslung 5.5 off of a 512mb memory stick
              > with no special settings for the swap file 24/7 for about
              > 18 months as a music and file server (with a separate hard
              > drive containing the data) with no problems
              Sounds good! I think I'll go for this option. I have an old 256MB usb
              stick, if it would break, this would not be a tragedy anyway.

              By the way: I found they now offer flash memory based 2.5" HDDs for as
              low as 60 euro. From the point of view of wearing out quickly, are
              they any better than the normal usb sticks?