Re: [nslu2-general] Anyone without an external drive

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2007
      On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:17 +0000, samuelgilesmiller wrote:

      > Looks like ucslugc has been abandonded... it there a way (reasonably)
      > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?

      It really depends on what you want to do with the slug.

      It boots from the internal flash and there is a minimal set
      of utilities but hardly any space to install more.

      You could use a external nfsroot but that still requires some
      space on a other device.

      --
      marceln
    • bhnb5000
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:17 +0000, samuelgilesmiller wrote:
        >
        > > Looks like ucslugc has been abandonded... it there a way (reasonably)
        > > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?
        >
        > It really depends on what you want to do with the slug.
        >
        > It boots from the internal flash and there is a minimal set
        > of utilities but hardly any space to install more.

        Also, it's possible to free up some space on the flash by removing the
        kernel modules and utilities required by the external filesystems
        which you're not going to use. For example, in 3.10 you can get back
        several hundred kb by removing the reiserfs utilites in /usr/sbin.

        Jon
      • tbering2002
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 22:17 +0000, samuelgilesmiller wrote:
          >
          > > Looks like ucslugc has been abandonded... it there a way (reasonably)
          > > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?
          >
          > It really depends on what you want to do with the slug.
          >
          > It boots from the internal flash and there is a minimal set
          > of utilities but hardly any space to install more.
          >
          > You could use a external nfsroot but that still requires some
          > space on a other device.
          >
          > --
          > marceln

          I set my slug to boot over NFS. That worked great. I didn't want the
          noise of the external hard drive.

          Nowadays, I am booting Ubuntu off a 16 GB memory stick in my laptop.
          As I write this, my laptop is making no noise whatsoever. Even the
          processor fan has spun down. The memory stick has all my files on it,
          with about 55% space used, and 45% free.

          With the price of USB memory keys, you might want to just use a memory
          key, but NFS works too.
        • johannes
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20, 2007
            samuelgilesmiller wrote:
            > is there a way (reasonably)
            > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?

            I'd also be interested in this, because I don't want the noise of a
            harddrive. I am currently using OpenSlug wich I unslung to a USB
            Memory stick. The problem is I don't have a place to swap to: Swapping
            on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly, whereas
            swapping onto an external HDD brings back the noise problem...

            Johannes
          • lance_benson
            Message 5 of 8 , May 21, 2007
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, johannes <jjh_nospam@...> wrote:

              > Swapping on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly

              There have been many assertions about this, and it may well vary by
              brand, but I have been running Unslung 5.5 off of a 512mb memory stick
              with no special settings for the swap file 24/7 for about 18 months as
              a music and file server (with a separate hard drive containing the
              data) with no problems, knock on wood. For the most part, there have
              not been many postings about USB drives having failed. More data would
              be good. I have to admit my own guilt in waiting for someone else to
              post that additional data. It may not be as big a problem in practice
              as has been suggested. Making backups is of course recommended.
            • mujjauk
              Message 6 of 8 , May 21, 2007
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, johannes <jjh_nospam@...> wrote:

                > samuelgilesmiller wrote:
                > > is there a way (reasonably)
                > > to make slugos/be or /le work without an extra drive?
                >
                > I'd also be interested in this, because I don't want the noise of a
                > harddrive. I am currently using OpenSlug wich I unslung to a USB
                > Memory stick. The problem is I don't have a place to swap to:
                Swapping
                > on the memory stick would apparantly wear it out too quickly, whereas
                > swapping onto an external HDD brings back the noise problem...
                >
                > Johannes

                I boot from a mem stick and keep my files on a pair of 2.5" HDDs on an
                unpowered hub. They are placed behind a TV cabinet and can't be heard
                at all, even when accessing from a couple of feet away.

                Worth considering as the price of 2.5" has come down a lot.
              • johannes
                Message 7 of 8 , May 23, 2007
                  mujjauk wrote:
                  > I boot from a mem stick and keep my files on a pair of
                  > 2.5" HDDs on an unpowered hub. They are placed behind a
                  > TV cabinet and can't be heard at all, even when
                  > accessing from a couple of feet away. Worth considering
                  > as the price of 2.5" has come down a lot.
                  Yes, that would be an option, too. But I already bought a 3.5" HDD and
                  I don't want to spend more money just for a swapping device...

                  lance_benson wrote:
                  > I have been running Unslung 5.5 off of a 512mb memory stick
                  > with no special settings for the swap file 24/7 for about
                  > 18 months as a music and file server (with a separate hard
                  > drive containing the data) with no problems
                  Sounds good! I think I'll go for this option. I have an old 256MB usb
                  stick, if it would break, this would not be a tragedy anyway.

                  By the way: I found they now offer flash memory based 2.5" HDDs for as
                  low as 60 euro. From the point of view of wearing out quickly, are
                  they any better than the normal usb sticks?