Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Printer initialization problem

  • Frank Reijn
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2007
      Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc

      You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)

      Cheers,

      Frank

      mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

      > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
      > protocol: IPP
      > address: ip.addres:631
      > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
      >
      > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
      administration
      > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
      > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
      all
      > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
      cancel
      > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
      >
      > cheers,
      > J.
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
      been
      > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
      > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
      > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
      > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
      backward
      > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
      > >
      > > Any help would be apprecaited.
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > J.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      > > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
      guess
      > > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet -
      getting a
      > > Mac Mini
      > > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas
      eve)? I'm
      > > running
      > > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
      > > version 5 of
      > > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run
      cups-lpd as
      > > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
      > not have
      > > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version
      6 it
      > > will be
      > > > gone.
      > > >
      > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
      > > >
      > > > service printer
      > > > {
      > > > socket_type = stream
      > > > protocol = tcp
      > > > wait = no
      > > > user = lp
      > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
      > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
      > > > disable = no
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
      > > "user=root" if
      > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
      > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
      it can)?
      > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
> [...]

    • juggler_munier
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2007
        Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet
        information in the 2 places in the config.

        One final thing, I found the following:
        http://www.chukhang.com/francis/?page=Geek/nslu2_cups

        Is it possible to do the same thing for unslung? Has anyone written a
        script to auto-start CUPS spooling when you turn your printer on?

        cheers,
        J.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

        > Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc
        >
        > You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)
        >
        > Cheers,
        >

        > Frank
        >
        > mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In
        nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
        > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
        > > protocol: IPP
        > > address: ip.addres:631
        > > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
        > >
        > > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
        > administration
        > > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
        > > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
        > all
        > > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
        > cancel
        > > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
        > >
        > > cheers,
        > > J.
        > >

        > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
        > > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
        > been
        > > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
        > > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
        > > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
        > > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
        > backward
        > > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
        > > >
        > > > Any help would be apprecaited.
        > > >
        > > > cheers,
        > > > J.
        > > >
        > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

        > guess
        > getting a
        > > > Mac Mini
        > eve)? I'm
        > > > running
        > > > version 5 of
        > cups-lpd as
        > > not have
        > 6 it
        > > > will be

        > > > "user=root" if
        > it can)?
        > the /var
        > > > ramfs and

      • Frank Reijn
        Message 3 of 15 , May 7, 2007
          Mine is running on a Unslung, so yes.

          Lucky me, HP970CXI auto turns on if a print command is sent.
          (I think it is switched on all the time and "just" lit the on light ) :-)

          Cheers,

          Frank

          juggler_munier <shamus@...> wrote: Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet