Re: Printer initialization problem

  • mticek
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

      > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
      > protocol: IPP
      > address: ip.addres:631
      > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
      >
      > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
      administration
      > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
      > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
      all
      > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
      cancel
      > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
      >
      > cheers,
      > J.
      >

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
      been
      > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
      > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
      > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
      > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
      backward
      > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
      > >
      > > Any help would be apprecaited.
      > >
      > > cheers,
      > > J.
      > >
      > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      > > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
      guess
      > > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet -
      getting a
      > > Mac Mini
      > > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas
      eve)? I'm
      > > running
      > > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
      > > version 5 of
      > > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run
      cups-lpd as
      > > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
      > not have
      > > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version
      6 it
      > > will be
      > > > gone.
      > > >
      > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
      > > >
      > > > service printer
      > > > {
      > > > socket_type = stream
      > > > protocol = tcp
      > > > wait = no
      > > > user = lp
      > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
      > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
      > > > disable = no
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
      > > "user=root" if
      > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
      > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
      it can)?
      > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
> [...]
    • mticek
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2007
        <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

        > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
        > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
        > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
        > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
        > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
        backward
        > slashes, with and without "http:"...
        >
        > Any help would be apprecaited.
        >
        > cheers,
        > J.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
        > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
        guess
        > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
        > Mac Mini
        > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)?
        I'm
        > running
        > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
        > version 5 of
        > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-
        lpd as
        > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
        not have
        > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6
        it
        > will be
        > > gone.
        > >
        > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
        > >
        > > service printer
        > > {
        > > socket_type = stream
        > > protocol = tcp
        > > wait = no
        > > user = lp
        > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
        > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
        > > disable = no
        > > }
        > >
        > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
        > "user=root" if
        > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
        > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it
        can)?
        > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
        the /var
        > ramfs and
        > > make the slug go comatose on you.
        > >
        > > best,
        > >
        > > -- Inge

      • Paul Pearman
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2007
          I had a similar issue - there are two things you need to check.
          Fistly you need to add the IP address (or entire sub-net) to the
          admin section in cupsd.conf I set mine for

          Allow From 192.168.0.*

          The next issue I had was Internet Explorer 7 (Firefox is not a
          problem) not allowing me to connect to https sites - but all you need
          to do is set https://slug (or whatever yours is called) to be part of
          the local network (security settings). Then you can accept the
          certificate and you should be able to administer the printer. I
          notice you are using OSX and I don't know how Safari deals with this.
          I haven't had time to try out OSX on my system yet.

          I have my system working OK, the only issue I have is that I can only
          administer my printer when I login as "root" - and I'd like to let my
          wife restart the printer when I'm not around without having to tell
          her the root password. - If anyone has any ideas on that i'd be
          interested.

          I hope this helps

          Paul

          <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
          6 it
          > > will be
          > > > gone.
          > > >
          > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
          > > >
          > > > service printer
          > > > {
          > > > socket_type = stream
          > > > protocol = tcp
          > > > wait = no
          > > > user = lp
          > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
          > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
          > > > disable = no
          > > > }
          > > >
          > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
          > > "user=root" if
          > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
          > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
          it can)?
          > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

        • Frank Reijn
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2007
            Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc

            You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)

            Cheers,

            Frank

            mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
            <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
            6 it
            > > will be
            > > > gone.
            > > >
            > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
            > > >
            > > > service printer
            > > > {
            > > > socket_type = stream
            > > > protocol = tcp
            > > > wait = no
            > > > user = lp
            > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
            > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
            > > > disable = no
            > > > }
            > > >
            > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
            > > "user=root" if
            > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
            > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
            it can)?
            > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

          • juggler_munier
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2007
              Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet
              information in the 2 places in the config.

              One final thing, I found the following:
              http://www.chukhang.com/francis/?page=Geek/nslu2_cups

              Is it possible to do the same thing for unslung? Has anyone written a
              script to auto-start CUPS spooling when you turn your printer on?

              cheers,
              J.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

              > Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc
              >
              > You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)
              >
              > Cheers,
              >

              > Frank
              >
              > mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In
              nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
              > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
              > > protocol: IPP
              > > address: ip.addres:631
              > > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
              > >
              > > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
              > administration
              > > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
              > > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
              > all
              > > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
              > cancel
              > > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
              > >
              > > cheers,
              > > J.
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
              > > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
              > been
              > > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
              > > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
              > > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
              > > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
              > backward
              > > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
              > > >
              > > > Any help would be apprecaited.
              > > >
              > > > cheers,
              > > > J.
              > > >
              > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

              > guess
              > getting a
              > > > Mac Mini
              > eve)? I'm
              > > > running
              > > > version 5 of
              > cups-lpd as
              > > not have
              > 6 it
              > > > will be

              > > > "user=root" if
              > it can)?
              > the /var
              > > > ramfs and

            • Frank Reijn
              Message 6 of 15 , May 7, 2007
                Mine is running on a Unslung, so yes.

                Lucky me, HP970CXI auto turns on if a print command is sent.
                (I think it is switched on all the time and "just" lit the on light ) :-)

                Cheers,

                Frank

                juggler_munier <shamus@...> wrote: Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet