Re: Printer initialization problem

  • juggler_munier
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2007
      I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
      protocol: IPP
      address: ip.addres:631
      queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)

      The only thing that isn't working now is access to the administration
      portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
      (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed all
      of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can cancel
      jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?

      cheers,
      J.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
      <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

      > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
      > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
      > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
      > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
      > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and backward
      > slashes, with and without "http:"...
      >
      > Any help would be apprecaited.
      >
      > cheers,
      > J.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
      > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I guess
      > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
      > Mac Mini
      > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)? I'm
      > running
      > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
      > version 5 of
      > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-lpd as
      > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
      not have
      > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6 it
      > will be
      > > gone.
      > >
      > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
      > >
      > > service printer
      > > {
      > > socket_type = stream
      > > protocol = tcp
      > > wait = no
      > > user = lp
      > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
      > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
      > > disable = no
      > > }
      > >
      > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
      > "user=root" if
      > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
      > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it can)?
      > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up the /var
      > ramfs and
      > > make the slug go comatose on you.
      > >
      > > best,
      > >
      > > -- Inge

    • mticek
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2007
        <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
        6 it
        > > will be
        > > > gone.
        > > >
        > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
        > > >
        > > > service printer
        > > > {
        > > > socket_type = stream
        > > > protocol = tcp
        > > > wait = no
        > > > user = lp
        > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
        > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
        > > > disable = no
        > > > }
        > > >
        > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
        > > "user=root" if
        > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
        > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
        it can)?
        > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

      • mticek
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2007
          <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

          > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have been
          > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
          > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
          > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
          > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
          backward
          > slashes, with and without "http:"...
          >
          > Any help would be apprecaited.
          >
          > cheers,
          > J.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
          > <i.b.arnesen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Good to hear that XP printing is working for you. From OS/X I
          guess
          > > lpd-printing would be a solution (I don't know... yet - getting a
          > Mac Mini
          > > on loan in a week's time - excited like a kid before X-mas eve)?
          I'm
          > running
          > > lpd remote printing from Gentoo here and it works well. In IPK
          > version 5 of
          > > CUPS, I have a completely useless script for trying to run cups-
          lpd as
          > > standalone server. It does not work, will never work and should
          not have
          > > been there (Nancy Reagan was right: just say "no"). In version 6
          it
          > will be
          > > gone.
          > >
          > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
          > >
          > > service printer
          > > {
          > > socket_type = stream
          > > protocol = tcp
          > > wait = no
          > > user = lp
          > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
          > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
          > > disable = no
          > > }
          > >
          > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
          > "user=root" if
          > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
          > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say it
          can)?
          > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up
          the /var
          > ramfs and
          > > make the slug go comatose on you.
          > >
          > > best,
          > >
          > > -- Inge

        • Paul Pearman
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2007
            I had a similar issue - there are two things you need to check.
            Fistly you need to add the IP address (or entire sub-net) to the
            admin section in cupsd.conf I set mine for

            Allow From 192.168.0.*

            The next issue I had was Internet Explorer 7 (Firefox is not a
            problem) not allowing me to connect to https sites - but all you need
            to do is set https://slug (or whatever yours is called) to be part of
            the local network (security settings). Then you can accept the
            certificate and you should be able to administer the printer. I
            notice you are using OSX and I don't know how Safari deals with this.
            I haven't had time to try out OSX on my system yet.

            I have my system working OK, the only issue I have is that I can only
            administer my printer when I login as "root" - and I'd like to let my
            wife restart the printer when I'm not around without having to tell
            her the root password. - If anyone has any ideas on that i'd be
            interested.

            I hope this helps

            Paul

            <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
            6 it
            > > will be
            > > > gone.
            > > >
            > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
            > > >
            > > > service printer
            > > > {
            > > > socket_type = stream
            > > > protocol = tcp
            > > > wait = no
            > > > user = lp
            > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
            > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
            > > > disable = no
            > > > }
            > > >
            > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
            > > "user=root" if
            > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
            > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
            it can)?
            > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

          • Frank Reijn
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2007
              Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc

              You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)

              Cheers,

              Frank

              mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
              <juggler_munier@...> wrote:

> [...]
              6 it
              > > will be
              > > > gone.
              > > >
              > > > I use xinetd for cups-lpd and my config is:
              > > >
              > > > service printer
              > > > {
              > > > socket_type = stream
              > > > protocol = tcp
              > > > wait = no
              > > > user = lp
              > > > env = TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
              > > > server = /opt/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
              > > > disable = no
              > > > }
              > > >
              > > > Note that "user=lp" is preliminary and may be replaced with
              > > "user=root" if
              > > > the rest of the slug world is not up to it. Also note the nice
              > > > "env"-statement - can inetd do that, boys & girls (please say
              it can)?
              > > > Without it, a large print job, like graphics, may fill up

            • juggler_munier
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2007
                Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet
                information in the 2 places in the config.

                One final thing, I found the following:
                http://www.chukhang.com/francis/?page=Geek/nslu2_cups

                Is it possible to do the same thing for unslung? Has anyone written a
                script to auto-start CUPS spooling when you turn your printer on?

                cheers,
                J.

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Frank Reijn <fnijer@...> wrote:

                > Did you install the documentation files ? ipkg install cups-doc
                >
                > You do need to install these to have the admin working :-)
                >
                > Cheers,
                >

                > Frank
                >
                > mticek <mticek@...> wrote: --- In
                nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I was finally able to figure this out in OS X:
                > > protocol: IPP
                > > address: ip.addres:631
                > > queue: /printers/Epson880 (or whatever you have named yours)
                > >
                > > The only thing that isn't working now is access to the
                > administration
                > > portion when I'm access the server with a web browser
                > > (https://ip.address:631/admin/). I get the 403 error. I followed
                > all
                > > of the instructions including adding the SSL certificate (I can
                > cancel
                > > jobs) but this isn't working. Any thoughts?
                > >
                > > cheers,
                > > J.
                > >

                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "juggler_munier"
                > > <juggler_munier@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I am having a similar problem. I have installed CUPS and have
                > been
                > > > able to map and print from my WinXP machine
                > > > (http://ip.address:631/printers/Epson880). I have tried (I think)
                > > > every permutation and combination, but cannot do the same from my
                > > > iBook running OS X. I've tried both IPP and LPD, forward and
                > backward
                > > > slashes, with and without "http:"...
                > > >
                > > > Any help would be apprecaited.
                > > >
                > > > cheers,
                > > > J.
                > > >
                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen

                > guess
                > getting a
                > > > Mac Mini
                > eve)? I'm
                > > > running
                > > > version 5 of
                > cups-lpd as
                > > not have
                > 6 it
                > > > will be

                > > > "user=root" if
                > it can)?
                > the /var
                > > > ramfs and

              • Frank Reijn
                Message 7 of 15 , May 7, 2007
                  Mine is running on a Unslung, so yes.

                  Lucky me, HP970CXI auto turns on if a print command is sent.
                  (I think it is switched on all the time and "just" lit the on light ) :-)

                  Cheers,

                  Frank

                  juggler_munier <shamus@...> wrote: Thank you for your responses... I had forgotten to change my subnet