Backup file errors.

  • Sail_68
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24 10:39 AM
      Some background:

      Running uNSLUng 5.5 with a Maxtor drive and backing up from a w2k
      machine with SyncBack and all seemed fine until I had a disk crash on
      the Windows machine.

      Replaced the w2k drive, reinstalled XP and most applications. Went to
      SyncBack to restore data files. Some of the larger files ( >10mb )
      were corrupted as well as many zip files. I had another copy of most
      on CD. The w2k machine is now ok.

      I then started to research the corrupt file problem. This is where
      the problems started.

      Current situation:

      I upgraded to 6.8, reformatted the disk, ext3, unslung and backed up
      using SyncBack. Again many of the larger files had errors as reported
      by SynchBack using hash for comparison. Also, zip files were corrupt.
      Reloaded 6.8 and unslung to a memory stick in disk 2, reformatted the
      hard drive to FAT32 in Disk 1, same result.

      I then reverted to the Linksys R63 firmware with the Fat32 hard drive.
      No errors.

      Apparently, it is not the drive, cables, router, w2k machine or
      SyncBack. So, where do I go from here to get 6.8 to work? Thanks.

      .. Bob
    • Sail_68
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25 11:49 AM
        Some further info, but with the same results.

        I ran chkdsk on the FAT32 drive from a windows machine, no errors.

        I flashed 6.8 to the slug, unslung to a flash drive as Disk 2,
        connected the FAT32 drive to Disk 1 and ran SyncBack with hashing
        enabled. 3 files were reported different between the FAT32 drive and
        the XP NTFS source drive. Synced the three files. Ran SyncBack again
        and five different files reported differences. I did not sync the
        five files. During the comparison, 3150 files totaling 1.5gb are
        downloaded from the slug at a peak rate of about 3mB / sec. The slug
        appears the freeze during this process, as IP traffic stopped several
        times for a period of about a minute.

        Again, after reflashing with R63, no differences were reported, not
        even the five files reported under 6.8, and the slug did not appear to
        freeze.

        .. Bob