Re: [nslu2-general] 2 ext3 formatted drives on usb hub on port1 using unslung 6.8

  • mwester@dls.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2007
      The wiki is the definitive reference on the behavior of the Linksys R63 firmware. There's even a page dedicated to the out-of-the-box disk and partition support for that firmware somewhere on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

      It is *NOT* possible to have more than a single natively-formatted ext3 device per USB port with the Linksys firmware. Since Unslung is based on that firmware, it too suffers from the limitations of that firmware.

      In terms of work-arounds, if you are willing to arrange to mount the partitions and handle the shares (i.e. Samba configuration) yourself, the device can handle multiple ext3 (but not *natively-formatted* ext3 -- see the wiki for how the Linksys firmware defines *natively-formatted*) drives on a hub on Port 1.

      Mike (mwester)

      > Hello,
      > I have been reading the wiki and the different posts for information on
      > connecting 2 ext3 drives on a hub thru port 1 and it seemed that it is
      > not possible to have more than 2 ext3 drive per port using linksys
      > frimware. Is this still the case if I use unslung 6.8? Or is there a
      > work around?
      > Thank you
      > Eric
    • mujjauk
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bayard_e" <bayard_e@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I have been reading the wiki and the different posts for
        information on
        > connecting 2 ext3 drives on a hub thru port 1 and it seemed that it
        is
        > not possible to have more than 2 ext3 drive per port using linksys
        > frimware. Is this still the case if I use unslung 6.8? Or is there
        > work around?
        > Thank you
        > Eric

        With Unslung I had 4 drives connected to a hub on port 2.
        2x 2.5" 80GB EXT3 - powered by hub
        2x 3.5" 300GB NTFS - externally powered

        The only thing you have to check is which disk it seen first by the
        NSLU2 when you startup/reboot as they will be assigned names
        accordingly. e.g. connect all 4 drives and startup the NSLU2, type
        fdisk -l and check which drives have been called /dev/sda1,2,3,4 then
        mount/edit your entries in /etc/fstab to match.