new debain installer

  • johnboy4809
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2007
      Can anyone help

      Im trying to install debain on my slug, i can get past the formatting
      stage but when i start to install the base system i keep getting
      network error and putty disconnects is anyone else having this poblem
      and is it my network?

      aslso at one point it asked me to chose the kernal, i cant remember
      which i chose but it crashed and stoped install so not sure which
      kernel to choose

      thanks

      John
    • Rob Lockhart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2007
        John, check here:
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

        and you may wish to post this to the debian-arm list:
        http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/

        or the #debian-arm stuff per the wiki:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/IRC

        I've done D-I a handful of times (can do it in my sleep now) and I
        don't remember it asking me for which kernel version. Unless you're
        talking about this page:
        http://www.slug-firmware.net/

        I recommend the cyrius.com link above. I like the fact that there are
        10k or more packages available pre-compiled; just gotta "apt-get
        install package" and you're done.

        Regards,
        -Rob

        On 4/12/07, johnboy4809 wrote:
        > Im trying to install debain on my slug, i can get past the formatting
        > stage but when i start to install the base system i keep getting
        > network error and putty disconnects is anyone else having this poblem
        > and is it my network?
        >
        > aslso at one point it asked me to chose the kernal, i cant remember
        > which i chose but it crashed and stoped install so not sure which
        > kernel to choose
      • factinmyosin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2007
          I installed debian in a 2GB flashdrive. just following the
          instructions at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html
          It was not that tough. I had the same problem as you are suffering.

          The droped SSH connection is from the tiny 32m memory. We can't do any
          thing. plz restart nslu2 and begin from the scratch. But the way,my
          installation stoped in the middle, when I set a ~400MB (20%) swap
          partition. After reducing it to ~196MB, 10%, the problem was gone.

          nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "johnboy4809" <johnboy4809@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone help
          >
          > Im trying to install debain on my slug, i can get past the formatting
          > stage but when i start to install the base system i keep getting
          > network error and putty disconnects is anyone else having this poblem
          > and is it my network?
          >
          > aslso at one point it asked me to chose the kernal, i cant remember
          > which i chose but it crashed and stoped install so not sure which
          > kernel to choose
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > John

        • mujjauk
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25, 2007
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "johnboy4809" <johnboy4809@...>
            wrote:

            > Can anyone help
            >
            > Im trying to install debain on my slug, i can get past the formatting
            > stage but when i start to install the base system i keep getting
            > network error and putty disconnects is anyone else having this poblem
            > and is it my network?
            >
            > aslso at one point it asked me to chose the kernal, i cant remember
            > which i chose but it crashed and stoped install so not sure which
            > kernel to choose
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > John

            I was only asked for Kernel etc if the base installation was
            interrupted and I had to return to the main menu. When I let it run all
            the way through I wasn't asked for anything.

            For the problems with network connection, if you can no longer ping
            your NSLU2 on the static IP you should have assigned then you need to
            set it again. The easiest way is to put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode
            again via Reboot or reset button. Then load the official Linksys
            firmware. Then use the supplied Linksys CD to find the NSLU2 and set
            the IP or via the webgui if you can access it. Config you IP settings
            and then flash again with the Debian Firmware.

            I used a 2GB flash drive in port 1 and let the guided install partition
            and format the stick. Partman created a 92MB swap partition and the
            reset was used for /. It did seem to hang on 33% and I left it for a
            few mins and it continued.