How to set up NSLU2 as an FTP server?

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2007

      I have a total newbie question. If I get an NSLU2, what do I need to
      do to make it work as an FTP server? I read Linksys's manual and the
      NSLU2 doesn't appear to have an FTP server built-in. Do I need to
      flash a new firmware onto it? Which firmware do people recommend? Or
      could I just install a Linux ftp server in it? Which ftp server do
      people recommend? I'm looking for the most straight-forward and stable
      solution. We need to make dozens of low-power ftp servers for a
      science project.

      Thanks.

      John
    • simfun
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
        NSLU2 does contains an ftp server by default with basic functionality.
        If you want something more just take a look on NSLU2 wiki. There are
        many options there.

        Mike

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnbkim@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a total newbie question. If I get an NSLU2, what do I need to
        > do to make it work as an FTP server? I read Linksys's manual and the
        > NSLU2 doesn't appear to have an FTP server built-in. Do I need to
        > flash a new firmware onto it? Which firmware do people recommend? Or
        > could I just install a Linux ftp server in it? Which ftp server do
        > people recommend? I'm looking for the most straight-forward and stable
        > solution. We need to make dozens of low-power ftp servers for a
        > science project.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > John

      • simfun
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
          NSLU2 does contains an ftp server by default with basic functionality.
          If you want something more just take a look on NSLU2 wiki. There are
          many options there.

          Mike

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnbkim@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a total newbie question. If I get an NSLU2, what do I need to
          > do to make it work as an FTP server? I read Linksys's manual and the
          > NSLU2 doesn't appear to have an FTP server built-in. Do I need to
          > flash a new firmware onto it? Which firmware do people recommend? Or
          > could I just install a Linux ftp server in it? Which ftp server do
          > people recommend? I'm looking for the most straight-forward and stable
          > solution. We need to make dozens of low-power ftp servers for a
          > science project.
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > John

        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2007
            As of firmware version R63, Linksys includes a working FTP server. It's a
            version of "bftpd" - googling that should get you a reference, should you
            need more advanced documentation on bftpd itself (there is no documentation
            on how Linksys configures it, unfortunately -- that would be a greatly wiki
            article IMO).

            I would recommend that you try to work with that built-in ftpd, and only
            attempt the use of proftpd or vsftpd if all else fails -- those are very
            good ftp servers, but they have proven very difficult to set up on the
            Unslung firmware.

            I'm not sure what firmware to recommend. The native Linksys firmware is
            easiest (of course), but is not very flexible. Unslung retains
            compatibility with Linksys firmware. SlugOS (aka OpenSlug) offers a much
            more standard Linux environment on the little devices. Perhaps if you could
            outline the needs you have of the device for the science project we could
            offer some more specific suggestions.

            Thanks,
            Mike (mwester)