Venus T4U & Unsung6.x

  • unwahooo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2007
      I have a AMS Venus T4U that houses four IDE HDDs. When using the
      official Linksys firmware (V2.3R73) the drives are accessed with the
      names as described in the R63DiskBehavior wiki page (http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour) even though the T4U enclosure
      is connected directly to the NSLU2.

      The Unslung wiki page (http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage) says not to have the root device on a
      USB hub with other storage devices of any sort. The reason for this
      being that there is no reliable way to ensure that the root (first
      found disk on the hub) disk is always "/dev/sdb".

      Since the T4U drive locations depend on which IDE cable & their
      master/slave setting, it is guaranteed that they will always be in the
      same location. Does this mean that there won't be an issue with
      ensuring the root disk is always Is there still a chance that the true
      root drive won't be found first? Will my drives be treated as if they
      were all connected to a hub? Do I need to try it and see what happens?

      Any comments are appreciated.