Recommendations of hdd/enclosures for low power set up

  • jonrwilliamson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2007

      I'm looking to put together an alternative to my fat noisy and power
      hungry gentoo server to store media files. I want to be able to leave
      it on 24x7 so it needs to be able to spin down when idle.

      The information on what enclosures/hdd combinations support spin down
      seems patchy. Can anyone recommend enclosures/HDD combinations that
      work well?

      I'm able to attach drives to a gentoo server to set hdd parameters
      provided the settings will survive a power down.

      I've been looking at icy box enclosures but I've seen differing
      opinions on their spin down capabilities.

      Thanks
      Jon