Re: NSLU2 hangs - very fustrating

  • jones_chan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
      > The one with problems is running V23R25. The one that works is
      > running V23R24. I don't know if that's the reason, but it's the
      > only difference I can determine (other than possible a hardware
      bug
      > on the one NSLU2).
      >
      > I'll try 'downgrading' my 'bad' NSLU2 to V23R24 to see if that
      fixes
      > the problem. I'll report back here with results.
      >
      > - Paulb

      Thanks for the reply Paulb,

      I turned on the NSLU2 last night after letting it sit for a few
      hours. It booted with Disk1 "Installed", but Disk2 "Not Installed".

      I read your comment about downgrading to V23R24, so I tried that
      late last night and it really F'd the unit bad. It doesn't boot
      anymore - the status light continually blinks Amber/Green.

      Got tier 1 tech support on the phone for over an hour and have to
      say it was a waste of time. They couldn't understand that unit does
      not boot so there is no possible way to access the web interface to
      flash the unit. I kept asking if there is any other way of flashing
      this thing and they kept wanting to troubleshoot the unit (swap
      cables, connect PC to NSLU2 directly, etc.).

      I've given up on the NSLU2. I have to applaud Linksys for a great
      idea, but it was poorly executed. There seems to be too many bugs or
      incompatibilities between HD+USB Drive Enclosure+NSLU2.

      Worst of all, I've never had confidence that this unit was
      safeguarding my data once it was on the drive(s). Too often the
      NSLU2 would report my drive(s) as "Not Installed". There's nothing
      worse than the feeling that your data is inaccessible or potentially
      lost.

      I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
      can't see myself using this unit now.

      I wish Linksys would redesign this unit with SATA interfaces and a
      large enclosure capable of storing 4 drives. That I would buy!
    • David Ondzes
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
        On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:21:48 -0000, jones_chan <jones_chan@...> wrote:

        > I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
        > can't see myself using this unit now.

        Have you called their techincal support ? Linksys should support you
        since it sounds like you have only upgraded the firmware.
      • jones_chan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, David Ondzes <dao@p...> wrote:
          > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:21:48 -0000, jones_chan <jones_chan@s...>
          wrote:

          > > I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
          > > can't see myself using this unit now.
          >
          > Have you called their techincal support ? Linksys should support
          you
          > since it sounds like you have only upgraded the firmware.

          I was on the phone with Linksys tier 1 tech support for over an hour
          late last night - they were useless (see my post). They couldn't
          understand that this unit boots from an embedded linux. Once the
          firmware upgrade got screwed up, the unit can't boot. There's no
          other way to get access to this device other than the ethernet. I've
          heard there's a serial port somewhere on the circuit card (not
          confirmed), but I'm not about to crack this thing open.
        • poporfresh
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
            I had the same problems with the NSLU2 hanging on large file transfers.
            (Also hanging when transferring many small files)

            Changing the USB cable on my external HD case was what actually fixed
            it for me. I have no idea why, but (knock on wood) I haven't
            experienced a hang in a couple of weeks where I would usually
            experience it once or twice a day.