Updated timezone databases available for SlugOS (aka OpenSlug)

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      Unless you have installed and configured the "timezone" package on your
      device, you can skip this email.

      Updated timezone databases are now available for users of SlugOS (and
      OpenSlug). They are probably not in the feeds correctly just now (due to
      other non-timezone-package related issues). However, since there is a
      significant timezone event coming up this Sunday morning (new DST for the
      Bahamas, Canada, and the US), there may be some users who are somewhat
      interested in getting these packages sooner rather than later.

      The new packages are named "tzdata-*" instead of "timezone-*" -- this is
      because it is not guaranteed that the two are automatically upgradable. If
      you are happy with no timezone info (as most OpenSlug or SlugOS users seem
      to be), or if you are happy with the existing timezone-* package(s) you've
      installed, you may leave your machine as-is.

      However, if you need the updated packages, you'll have to uninstall the
      existing timezone-* packages, install the new tzdata-* packages, and then
      correct the symlink you placed in /etc/localtime so that it points to the
      desired new timezone file.

      The "tzdata" package (no suffix) contains timezone files for all the major
      timezones, and most users should be able to use this package. However, if
      you need special or more detailed timezone files (for example, some
      localities do not observe daylight saving time at all), you'll need to
      download the timezone package for your geographic area, such as
      "tzdata-americas". These are data-only packages, so they should work
      correctly on any OpenSlug or SlugOS release, provided that you can bludgeon
      ipkg hard enough make it install the package on that release.

      If you can't wait for the packages to appear in the stable feeds, you can
      download them manually and ipkg install them. For example, SlugOS/BE users
      will find an appropriate package at:
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/unstable/armv5teb/tzdata_2007c-r0_armv5teb.ipk
      and the tzdata-americas package at:
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/unstable/armv5teb/tzdata-americas_2007c-r0_armv5teb.ipk

      SlugOS/LE users will find the same packages at:
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosle/cross/unstable/armv5te/tzdata_2007c-r0_armv5te.ipk
      and
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosle/cross/unstable/armv5te/tzdata-americas_2007c-r0_armv5te.ipk

      Happy DST!
      mwester (Mike)
    • Adam Ward
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
        Mike (mwester) wrote:

        > Unless you have installed and configured the "timezone" package on your
        > device, you can skip this email.
        >
        > Updated timezone databases are now available for users of SlugOS (and
        > OpenSlug). They are probably not in the feeds correctly just now (due to
        > other non-timezone-package related issues). However, since there is a
        > significant timezone event coming up this Sunday morning (new DST for the
        > Bahamas, Canada, and the US), there may be some users who are somewhat
        > interested in getting these packages sooner rather than later.

        The DST changes for WAST in Australia are not in these files - my time is
        one hour off.
        There is a corrected file for Australia/Perth here:
        http://matt.ucc.asn.au/time/

        I know I can pull the file down myself etc, but it would be nice if it was
        in the feeds :)

        btw, I followed the InstallOpenNtpd page, OpenSlug 3.10.

        [snip]

        Also, I tried running tzselect (out of curiosity) from the glibc-utils
        package, and it errors:

        root@nas:~# tzselect
        /usr/bin/tzselect: 65: Syntax error: "do" unexpected (expecting ")")
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
          What exactly did you install? What's the full name of the expected timezone
          you're looking for?

          The timezone data being used is the most recent available, directly from the
          authoritative source. I would expect that the detailed timezone info for
          Australia would be in the tzdata-australia package; did you check that one?
          (Actually, the intent was the the base tzdata ipkg should have every major
          timezone in the world represented, I would expect that Perth would fit that
          category and should have been in that file -- that's not that funky timezone
          that's off by 10 or 15 minutes, is it?)

          BTW, the updated timezone data is in the feeds now, so just "ipkg install
          tzdata" is all you need now.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
            On Friday 16 March 2007 22:37, Mike (mwester) wrote:
            > What exactly did you install? What's the full name of the expected
            > timezone you're looking for?

            timezone-australia which will have Australia/Perth in it.

            I then found the more recent timezone-australia in the unstable feed, but
            still no luck.

            > The timezone data being used is the most recent available, directly from
            > the authoritative source. I would expect that the detailed timezone info
            > for Australia would be in the tzdata-australia package; did you check that
            > one? (Actually, the intent was the the base tzdata ipkg should have every
            > major timezone in the world represented, I would expect that Perth would
            > fit that category and should have been in that file -- that's not that
            > funky timezone that's off by 10 or 15 minutes, is it?)

            No :)

            > BTW, the updated timezone data is in the feeds now, so just "ipkg install
            > tzdata" is all you need now.

            ok, I'll remove the one I've got and use tzdata.
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
              > > What exactly did you install? What's the full name of the expected
              > > timezone you're looking for?
              >
              > timezone-australia which will have Australia/Perth in it.
              >
              > I then found the more recent timezone-australia in the unstable feed, but
              > still no luck.

              As you've discovered, the problem is that the "timezone-*" ipkgs remain the
              same as they always have been; the updated timezone databases are all in the
              "tzdata-*" ipkgs. It would be nice to get rid of the old timezone ipkgs,
              but since there might be dependencies of which I'm not aware, that's not
              been done.

              It would be a good idea, though, for *somebody* to update that errant wiki
              page that directed that person to install the obsolete timezone pkgs, though
              :-)

              Mike (mwester)
            • Adam Ward
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2007
                On Saturday 17 March 2007 11:07, Mike (mwester) wrote:
                > > > What exactly did you install? What's the full name of the expected
                > > > timezone you're looking for?
                > >
                > > timezone-australia which will have Australia/Perth in it.
                > >
                > > I then found the more recent timezone-australia in the unstable feed, but
                > > still no luck.
                >
                > As you've discovered, the problem is that the "timezone-*" ipkgs remain the
                > same as they always have been; the updated timezone databases are all in
                > the "tzdata-*" ipkgs. It would be nice to get rid of the old timezone
                > ipkgs, but since there might be dependencies of which I'm not aware, that's
                > not been done.

                The dependencies need to be a searchable item. It might be a bit slow, but I
                find searhing in descriptions to be that way too.

                > It would be a good idea, though, for *somebody* to update that errant wiki
                > page that directed that person to install the obsolete timezone pkgs,
                > though

                I clicked the edit link, and it looks like anyone can make changes - there's
                no wiki account system ?
                Is that tickadj stuff still relevant ?

                > :-)
                >
                > Mike (mwester)

                I started from scratch - I removed timezones-australia and openntdp.
                I set the date and time:

                root@nas:~# date 031712152007
                Sat Mar 17 12:15:00 UTC 2007

                Installed tzdata and tzdata-australia, created the /etc/localtime link, then
                installed openntpd. tzdata only has Sydney in it.
                I pointed the daemon at my time server 192.168.0.1 (it's my gateway).
                I did a reboot, seems to be ok now.

                root@nas:~# date
                Sat Mar 17 12:42:11 WST 2007

                I did a zdump on the Perth file, and it's got the references to our DST trial
                dates :)

                Thanks.