Re: Dead Nslu2 [wiki update]

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
      Roy Anstee wrote:
      > I am noy sure how I update Wiki with my experiences? Will it not
      > confuse people with too much information as I found?

      Roy is right. Rod, it's not going to work to ask people who were
      confused by the documentation to fix it - they are exactly the wrong
      people. The people who need to fix the documentation are the ones who
      actually understand things. People like Roy might, at best, go and add
      some little paragraph at the end of an already over-long page saying
      what they found, but they are very unlikely to go and really improve things.

      So I have just spent 2.5 hours working through
      Howto.RecoverFromABadFlash and the pages that it links to. I *hope*
      that it is now better than it was before, but even though I now have
      quite a lot of Slug experience even I can't be sure that I have not
      screwed it up somewhere. (For example, I know nothing about Macs,
      Windows, Sercomm, Unslung etc. etc.)

      It would be really great if people who do know about the areas would
      please review this. Even people who don't know about these areas can
      also help by fixing my WikiSyntax errors, bad links, speeling etc. etc.

      The structure is now as follows:

      Howto.RecoverFromABadFlash is now much shorter than before. It tries
      to direct people towards Upslug2 or perhaps Sercomm, but has links to
      ReflashUsingRedbootAndTFTP and ReflashUsingApexAndXmodem for the masocists.

      Upslug2 has been simplified by moving the Mac stuff to a new page.
      This needs attention.

      I have tried to avoid duplication of material. For example, before
      there must have been about 5 places where it described how to hold the
      reset button down to enter Upgrade mode; now this is only on one
      definitive page, UseThResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode. Maybe you might
      think that I have over-done this. You are welcome to change it back if
      you want.

      Happy Hacking,

      Phil.
    • Adam Ward
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
        On Sunday 04 March 2007 01:18, Phil Endecott wrote:
        > Roy Anstee wrote:
        > > I am noy sure how I update Wiki with my experiences? Will it not
        > > confuse people with too much information as I found?
        >
        > Roy is right. Rod, it's not going to work to ask people who were
        > confused by the documentation to fix it - they are exactly the wrong
        > people. The people who need to fix the documentation are the ones who
        > actually understand things. People like Roy might, at best, go and add
        > some little paragraph at the end of an already over-long page saying
        > what they found, but they are very unlikely to go and really improve
        > things.
        >
        > So I have just spent 2.5 hours working through
        > Howto.RecoverFromABadFlash and the pages that it links to. I *hope*
        > that it is now better than it was before, but even though I now have
        > quite a lot of Slug experience even I can't be sure that I have not
        > screwed it up somewhere. (For example, I know nothing about Macs,
        > Windows, Sercomm, Unslung etc. etc.)

        I got mine a few days ago, and I spent some time doing the flashing, using the
        page prior to your edits.
        I think the changes made are good. I don't run Windows or Mac so I can't
        comment on these.

        The only addition I'd like to see is an upslug2 binary, maybe in the
        nlsu2-general files area. See my post at
        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/6102
        When the need to flash arises, the last thing I wanted to deal with was
        resolving compilation problems.

        [snip]