Re: [nslu2-general] Re: newbie with a few questions, thanks in advance

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
      On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 07:48 +0000, John wrote:
      > Thanks for the reply. The problem, I guess, is I don't know which
      > distrubition I need/want nor really how to go about tweaking Linux
      > from SSH.

      In that case you probably should use unslung.

      Use one disk as native disk and the other with fat.

      --
      marceln
    • johannes
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
        I think I was in a similar situation as you: I have been using Linux a
        bit, but rather stayed in the Gnome/KDE UI than in the console. I am
        not a slug expert at all, but this is how I made my decision:

        Unslung
        if you need the web interface.
        + webinterface
        - limitations due to old kernel and closedsource linksys code
        (e.g this or that usb port does not support hubs/ntfs...)
        + small, does not need to swap too much on disk *

        SlugOS
        if you want a small and quiet* linux.
        - no webinterface
        + more packages
        + modern kernel, none of the unslung limitations
        behaves very much like any other linux box
        + small, does not need to swap too much on disk *

        Debian
        if you want a full standard linux.
        + has any package you can dream of
        - big, needs to swap a lot *

        * if noise isn't a problem to you, ignore these points!
        the reason why i mention swapping so often is this: you can't swap
        onto a usb stick because this would wear out the flash memory. so you
        have to swap onto the harddisk. unslung and slugos will less use the
        swap because they are smaller, so chances for the harddisk to spindown
        are higher. if you are sensitive to noise, this may be an advantage.
        you can read more about this in the nslu2-linux mailing list in the
        thread 'unslung or openslug without swap'

        personally, when i looked at the original linksys webinterface, i
        thought: writing an smb.conf file can't be more difficult than
        learning how to use this. so i tried slugos. but hey, i don't want to
        force you into anything, it is your choice! i hope this helped.