HELP MAC MP3 FOLDER

  • jezfeepa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      I am hoping someone can help. I currenly installed NSLU2 with the
      latest version of unslug 6.8. I unslinged the installed firefly media
      server. This is my setup.

      Comcast cable into a Linksys WRT54gc router. Airtunes into the
      router, old hacked xbox into the router.

      My wife and both have macbooks(dual processor intel).

      There are 2 drives plugged into the linksys nslu2.
      1) Maxtor 200 gig Internal which I have put into an external usb 2.0
      case. This drive is in NTSF and was in my PC prior to getting rid of
      it. It is basically a media drive. Large 40Gig Movie folder, 90Gig MP3
      Folder, PIctures, etc.
      2) Mybook 250 Western Digital USB 2.0 drive formated to EXT3. This is
      the drive I have installed MT-Daapd too. The only media I have on it
      is 1/2 of my mp3 collection.

      Here is my problem. I can view Movie folder and Music folder on either
      drive through my Xbox XMBC. I can view the folders in the linksys
      NSLu2 website no problems. When I mount either drive on my Macbook,
      all folders work fine, and are pretty quick. The only folder I have
      problems with is the MP3 Folder. It takes like 20 minutes for the
      folder to open up where I can see the files. This is unacceptable. I
      dont get why it does not do this with the Movie folder which is big as
      well.

      HELP - What do I need to do to get it to mount in mac quickly.

      I have also overclocked my slug. Please help thomasjon@...
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2007
        On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 16:51 +0000, jezfeepa wrote:

        > There are 2 drives plugged into the linksys nslu2.
        > 1) Maxtor 200 gig Internal which I have put into an external usb 2.0
        > case. This drive is in NTSF and was in my PC prior to getting rid of
        > it. It is basically a media drive. Large 40Gig Movie folder, 90Gig MP3
        > Folder, PIctures, etc.
        > 2) Mybook 250 Western Digital USB 2.0 drive formated to EXT3. This is
        > the drive I have installed MT-Daapd too. The only media I have on it
        > is 1/2 of my mp3 collection.

        I guess that drive 2 is the unslung native drive?
        In that case it uses ext3 as filesystem but this disk is also used
        for the swap and configuration partition.

        > Here is my problem. I can view Movie folder and Music folder on either
        > drive through my Xbox XMBC. I can view the folders in the linksys
        > NSLu2 website no problems. When I mount either drive on my Macbook,
        > all folders work fine, and are pretty quick. The only folder I have
        > problems with is the MP3 Folder. It takes like 20 minutes for the
        > folder to open up where I can see the files. This is unacceptable. I
        > dont get why it does not do this with the Movie folder which is big as
        > well.

        What do you mean by "the Movie folder which is big as well"?

        The real interesting number is the number of files:
        40 GB of movies --> 20 files
        40 GB of mp3 --> 16000 files

        Thats almost 1000 times more files.

        Do you have more then a few 100 files in one directory. Because thats
        could case long delays?

        Are the differences between de ext3 filesystem and the ntfs filesystem?

        --
        marceln