RE: [nslu2-general] NTFS-3G for SlugOS?

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
      On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 20:25 -0700, siegfried wrote:
      > I'm using a slug with openvpn to access an offsite disk. If I have
      > trouble with my boot disk, I want to be able to bring my offsite
      > backup disk on site and boot from it.

      The slug always boot from it's internal flash.
      During the boot it will check if there is a valid disk
      and then change to that external disk as root disk.

      > What would be involved with adding ntfs-3g to the kernel?

      You have to change the configuration of the kernel and
      rebuild the firmware image with the new kernel configuration.

      But probably you get a lot trouble:
      1) The ntfs driver requires a newer version of fuse
      which isn't supported with the 2.4 kernel
      2) The ntfs driver doesn't support posix permisions
      so you can't use it as a descent filesystem.
      It migth work with a lot problems but never in
      a save way.

      NOTE:
      These answers are based on unslung 6.8!
      Maybe it's easer with SlugOs or debian.

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Development/HomePage

      --
      marceln
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
        On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 22:41 +0100, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

        > Maybe it's easer with SlugOs or debian.

        From:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/NTFS

        NTFS read/write success confirmed (though reliability to be
        established) when using Debian\NSLU2 with ntfs-3g version 1.0
        (currently in experimental, 2-Mar-07) with fuse-utils 0.6.2.

        --
        marceln
      • siegfried
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
          I've been studying http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage. Where
          are the build instructions? I was hoping to find some instructions like the
          mastermakefile for unslung.

          Thanks,

          Siegfried

          _____

          From:
          http://www.nslu2- <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/NTFS>
          linux.org/wiki/FAQ/NTFS

          NTFS read/write success confirmed (though reliability to be
          established) when using Debian\NSLU2 with ntfs-3g version 1.0
          (currently in experimental, 2-Mar-07) with fuse-utils 0.6.2.

          --
          marceln

        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2007
            [Firstly, nslu2-general is not the right list for development questions.
            We have nslu2-developers for that.]

            www.debian.org - nslu2-linux does not do these builds, Debian does.

            > I was hoping to find some instructions like the
            > mastermakefile for unslung.

            Look on the debian wiki for the installer build instructions. Then look
            on our wiki for instructions on how to add the proprietary intel
            microcode to that image.

            -- Rod