newbie: want to share a mac drive...

  • hopbot001
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 11:23 PM
      hello all! i just got my nslu2 and its so neat! i have Unslung 6.8 on
      it and openssh and want to set up one for my friend who is a mac user
      and needs a nas backup solution.

      i am thinking i need netatalk and hfs+ support but i find very little
      on the net about nslu2 + netatalk. i installed the netatalk package
      with 'ipkg install netatalk' and it seemed to work, but i cant tell.
      the deamons arent running when i do a 'ps' though so it seems i have
      to do some manual work.

      anyone else set up a mac share like this and care to elaborate on what
      is needed? thanks!
    • realpsychodad
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 6:56 AM
        Hi

        No, you do not. Just use it with unslung or even stock linksys
        firmaware. Mac does work nice with SMB shares provided by the nslu2,
        no software needed.

        The NSLU2 will apear in finder/network.

        Or use "connect to server" in finder and type "cifs://nslu2IPAddress"

        The only thing that will be usefull is a little applescript to mount
        the shares at boot, saving some mouseclicks.

        by

        Psychodad

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hopbot001" <michelangelo@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 11:16 AM
          thanks Psychodad!
          i am assuming that means the drive needs to be FAT? is there a
          disadvantage to that for the Mac user (as opposed to having an HFS+
          drive connected to the NSLU2

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "realpsychodad" <ahelbling@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > No, you do not. Just use it with unslung or even stock linksys
          > firmaware. Mac does work nice with SMB shares provided by the nslu2,
          > no software needed.
          >
          > The NSLU2 will apear in finder/network.
          >
          > Or use "connect to server" in finder and type "cifs://nslu2IPAddress"
          >
          > The only thing that will be usefull is a little applescript to mount
          > the shares at boot, saving some mouseclicks.
          >
          > by
          >
          > Psychodad
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "hopbot001" <michelangelo@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > hello all! i just got my nslu2 and its so neat! i have Unslung 6.8
          > on
          > > it and openssh and want to set up one for my friend who is a mac
          > user
          > > and needs a nas backup solution.

        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 1:22 PM
            On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 19:16 +0000, hopbot001 wrote:

            > i am assuming that means the drive needs to be FAT? is there a
            > disadvantage to that for the Mac user (as opposed to having an HFS+
            > drive connected to the NSLU2

            1) You need at least one native drive.
            2) There is no support for HFS+.
            3) You could use a second disk with fat.

            --
            marceln