Re: [nslu2-general] NAS enclosure for 3.5" IDE ext3 formatted drive

  • Adam Ward
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      On Monday 26 February 2007 22:52, cayspam wrote:
      > I'm currently using an old P2 with Zenwalk, which is sharing an 80 GB
      > etx3 formatted drive as a Samba share. I think it's got a 200 W PSU
      > in it.
      > I want to stick it in an enclosure to save some power and space, and
      > hopefully not spend more than about $AU200.
      > So far I've come across the crappy Netgear SC101.
      >
      > I have looked through the database of tested enclosures, and the
      > following are the vendors that I have been able to find with local
      > resellers (Perth, Australia):
      >
      > Spire
      > Ultra
      > Vantec
      > Western Digital
      >
      > Will any unit from these vendors meet my requirements, or am I looking
      > in the wrong places ?

      I did find the dlink dns-300 which as an enclosure would have suited
      perfectly, but its FAT32 only. There is a guy looking at making an
      alternative firmware http://dns-300.sergeyzh.org , but it's too soon for a
      result.

      I ended up getting an NSLU2 (found a local reseller, Harris Technology) and a
      USB2 drive enclosure.

      Currently have unslung on it, and I've played with upslug2 and redboot (at one
      point I thought I had bricked it).
      I haven't yet got a dedicated disk for it, but I'm intending to use OpenSlug
      and put ntpclient, samba and maybe a print server on it :)

      I wasn't able to compile upslug2 with the files referenced from the
      nslu2-linux website, due to a version problem with my build tools (using
      xubuntu). I was able to get a different version of the source at
      http://packages.debian.org/unstable/otherosfs/upslug2 (searched for upslug2).