Re: [nslu2-general] newbie with a few questions, thanks in advance

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
      On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 02:05 +0000, John wrote:

      A lot depends realy on the distribution you run (e.g. linksys firmware,
      unslung, openslug, debian) and the time you want to spent tweaking
      the system.

      > 3) I read real quick that multiple disks may cause problems? I wanted
      > to have 2 disks (hopeing for 1x200GB and 1x300GB -since I already
      > have those drives, just need to get USB enclosures)

      Two drives should work without problems.
      There might be some restrictions under certain distribution you
      run.

      > 4) Are partions possible? Not horrible thing if they're not, I can
      > always just make \Music \Video subfolders.

      You need a native disk for unslung and the linksys firmware. That disk
      has a very strict partition schema. I am not sure if the other disk
      is correctly mounted if there are partitions on it. But even then it
      is possible to get it working.

      For other distributions are probably even more flexible.

      > 5) Can I load these drives on my PC in Windows Vista before connecting
      > to NSLU2? Or do I have to format on the NSLU2 then copy everything
      > over via network?

      Yes.

      For unslung you can choose between different filesystems with
      the restriction that one disk is the "native" disk which has
      to be ext3.
      For the other disk you can choose between ext3, fat and ntfs
      but there are problems with the ntfs driver so i wouldn't use
      ntfs.
      Even if you choose ext3 you are able to write to the disk with:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

      --
      marceln
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2007
        Thanks for the reply. The problem, I guess, is I don't know which
        distrubition I need/want nor really how to go about tweaking Linux
        from SSH. I've only used SSH once before when my gaming clan had
        rented a server and I had to SSH into it to upload maps etc. It wasn't
        horrible...but it wasn't the easiest thing to grasp either.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 02:05 +0000, John wrote:
        >
        > A lot depends realy on the distribution you run (e.g. linksys firmware,
        > unslung, openslug, debian) and the time you want to spent tweaking
        > the system.
        >
        > > 3) I read real quick that multiple disks may cause problems? I wanted
        > > to have 2 disks (hopeing for 1x200GB and 1x300GB -since I already
        > > have those drives, just need to get USB enclosures)
        >
        > Two drives should work without problems.
        > There might be some restrictions under certain distribution you
        > run.
        >
        > > 4) Are partions possible? Not horrible thing if they're not, I can
        > > always just make \Music \Video subfolders.
        >
        > You need a native disk for unslung and the linksys firmware. That disk
        > has a very strict partition schema. I am not sure if the other disk
        > is correctly mounted if there are partitions on it. But even then it
        > is possible to get it working.
        >
        > For other distributions are probably even more flexible.
        >

        > > 5) Can I load these drives on my PC in Windows Vista before connecting
        > > to NSLU2? Or do I have to format on the NSLU2 then copy everything
        > > over via network?
        >
        > Yes.
        >
        > For unslung you can choose between different filesystems with
        > the restriction that one disk is the "native" disk which has
        > to be ext3.
        > For the other disk you can choose between ext3, fat and ntfs
        > but there are problems with the ntfs driver so i wouldn't use
        > ntfs.
        > Even if you choose ext3 you are able to write to the disk with:
        > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/
        >
        > --
        > marceln

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
          On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 07:48 +0000, John wrote:
          > Thanks for the reply. The problem, I guess, is I don't know which
          > distrubition I need/want nor really how to go about tweaking Linux
          > from SSH.

          In that case you probably should use unslung.

          Use one disk as native disk and the other with fat.

          --
          marceln
        • johannes
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
            I think I was in a similar situation as you: I have been using Linux a
            bit, but rather stayed in the Gnome/KDE UI than in the console. I am
            not a slug expert at all, but this is how I made my decision:

            Unslung
            if you need the web interface.
            + webinterface
            - limitations due to old kernel and closedsource linksys code
            (e.g this or that usb port does not support hubs/ntfs...)
            + small, does not need to swap too much on disk *

            SlugOS
            if you want a small and quiet* linux.
            - no webinterface
            + more packages
            + modern kernel, none of the unslung limitations
            behaves very much like any other linux box
            + small, does not need to swap too much on disk *

            Debian
            if you want a full standard linux.
            + has any package you can dream of
            - big, needs to swap a lot *

            * if noise isn't a problem to you, ignore these points!
            the reason why i mention swapping so often is this: you can't swap
            onto a usb stick because this would wear out the flash memory. so you
            have to swap onto the harddisk. unslung and slugos will less use the
            swap because they are smaller, so chances for the harddisk to spindown
            are higher. if you are sensitive to noise, this may be an advantage.
            you can read more about this in the nslu2-linux mailing list in the
            thread 'unslung or openslug without swap'

            personally, when i looked at the original linksys webinterface, i
            thought: writing an smb.conf file can't be more difficult than
            learning how to use this. so i tried slugos. but hey, i don't want to
            force you into anything, it is your choice! i hope this helped.