Flash recover/upgrade procedures on the Wiki and Readme's

  • mrkzander
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2007
      On reading the post regarding the dead slug, I decided to take a fresh
      look at the flash upgrade/recover procedures with the intent to make
      them clearer. Because any bad event like this doesn't look good on the
      Slug community.
      And I have some questions.

      I started at the Uslung-5.5-beta-README.txt that is included with the
      binary firmware package since I believe this is where most 'newbies'
      will start.

      Step 1 of the 'Pre-installation Considerations' states that you must
      first test the Telnet access to Redboot. Now I understand why this is
      needed, since if something very bad happens this is the method of last
      resort but I question why this has to be done first when the quick
      paper clip reset method (RecoverFromABadFlash Wiki) works in almost
      every case. I am wondering if this is there due to some historical
      reasons when the understanding of the NSLU2 was low.
      Also, the 'TelnetIntoRedBoot' Wiki referenced may include too much
      information that will only confuse.

      I have also added a few 'Warning!! Advanced procedure' headings to
      some of the procedures which I thought may be a bit dangerous.

      Zander