Dead Nslu2

  • roy_anstee
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
      I am new to nslu2. I tried load slugOSle using the update facility
      within the factory image. Everything went fine until I rebooted it. I
      then lost connection via the LAN interface. I went back to
      NSLU2-Debian web site and looked through the documents to find should
      of load a drive for nic interface. I looked at NSLU2-debian web site
      again, it said I could recover from a bad flash
      (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash) using the
      serial port contained within.
      I have follow the instruction in this document to find I have made a
      mistake with one of the commands which makes me think I have just
      created a paper weight as I don't see REDBoot load command on the
      internal serial when I turn it on.
      I am sorry it so long but my question is if I don't see + sign or any
      of the remaining dialog under normal boot conditions. Does this mean
      I can't recover from this without using JTAG tools?
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
        roy_anstee wrote:
        > I am new to nslu2. I tried load slugOSle using the update facility
        > within the factory image. Everything went fine until I rebooted it. I
        > then lost connection via the LAN interface. I went back to
        > NSLU2-Debian web site and looked through the documents to find should
        > of load a drive for nic interface. I looked at NSLU2-debian web site
        > again, it said I could recover from a bad flash
        > (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash) using the
        > serial port contained within.

        Hmm - you should have just used the Reset-Button upgrade mode and
        upslug2 or SerComm upgrade utility at this point.

        Can you please update the wiki so that you would have done this instead
        of what you did do?

        > I have follow the instruction in this document to find I have made a
        > mistake with one of the commands which makes me think I have just
        > created a paper weight as I don't see REDBoot load command on the
        > internal serial when I turn it on.

        That is very bad. Can you please update the wiki with *extra* warnings
        on that page to try the reset button upgrade mode method first?

        > I am sorry it so long but my question is if I don't see + sign or any
        > of the remaining dialog under normal boot conditions. Does this mean
        > I can't recover from this without using JTAG tools?

        That is correct. You have a brick, and need JTAG to recover it.

        (as far as I know, you are the first to have made a brick by getting
        into redboot and making a fatal mistake - all the more reason why I
        would ask anyone who sees a page talking about getting into redboot to
        put a large warning there advising people to use the reset button
        upgrade mode instead.)

        -- Rod
      • roy_anstee
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
          Many thanks for the quick reply.

          I am sorry but I not use to posting messages to techincal groups such
          as this one and if I have not used the correct protocol I apologise.

          What I was trying to achive in the previous posting is to confirm if I
          had trashed nslu2 and I was trying to keep my question to a minimum.

          That said, I find Wiki avery good source of information on this
          subject and many other subjects. There is just too much information to
          take in.

          At the time I did try the Reset-Button, but I couldn't gain access to
          the box through the network interface either directly using a cross
          over cable or via a network switch. Nslu2 showed an amber
          ready/status light without going through the normal sequence of
          flashing leds on power up. The nslu2 just seem to have gone deaf &
          dumb and read an article by Jim Buzbee who suggested there was a
          problem with nslu2 not detecting the network interface.
          At this time I came across another article saying I could see what was
          happening on the nslu2 by connecting up the internal serial port.

          I connected the serial interface and sure enough I could see the the
          booting up of Redboot but it stopped at what I believe to be unpack of
          the linux kernel. It didn't complete the uncompress the kernel.

          I panicked and just wanted to get it back to factory settings. I read
          another article that I could achive this by setting Redboot to receive
          the linksys binary file. I used a commands of 'recovering from a bad
          flash' but real did understand what i was doing but at the time I
          thought I did. This is not how upgrade to SlugOSLe. What I didn't
          appreciate how this little box holds its firmware in flash.

          Anyway I have put this down to experience. I am hoping to purchase
          another nslu2 and try again. I would like to see it working as a file
          and print server.

          Once again many thanks.
        • Rod Whitby
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
            roy_anstee wrote:
            > I am sorry but I not use to posting messages to techincal groups such
            > as this one and if I have not used the correct protocol I apologise.

            Your protocol is fine.

            > What I was trying to achive in the previous posting is to confirm if I
            > had trashed nslu2 and I was trying to keep my question to a minimum.

            Yep, it's bricked. But you can recover it with JTAG (or have someone
            else do that for you).

            > That said, I find Wiki avery good source of information on this
            > subject and many other subjects. There is just too much information to
            > take in.

            Yes, we need people like yourself to write down the lessons learned, and
            summarise existing information (leaving out no longer relevant stuff),
            or marking incorrect or obsolete information as such. Have you done so?
            (I didn't see your name in the wiki recent changes list ...)

            Many people complain about the wiki. Very few do something to improve it.

            > At the time I did try the Reset-Button, but I couldn't gain access to
            > the box through the network interface either directly using a cross
            > over cable or via a network switch. Nslu2 showed an amber
            > ready/status light without going through the normal sequence of
            > flashing leds on power up. The nslu2 just seem to have gone deaf &
            > dumb and read an article by Jim Buzbee who suggested there was a
            > problem with nslu2 not detecting the network interface.
            > At this time I came across another article saying I could see what was
            > happening on the nslu2 by connecting up the internal serial port.
            >
            > I connected the serial interface and sure enough I could see the the
            > booting up of Redboot but it stopped at what I believe to be unpack of
            > the linux kernel. It didn't complete the uncompress the kernel.

            That's when you should have simply gone back into upgrade mode, and
            reflashed. With serial, you would have even been able to watch it
            reflash and reboot.

            > I panicked and just wanted to get it back to factory settings. I read
            > another article that I could achive this by setting Redboot to receive
            > the linksys binary file. I used a commands of 'recovering from a bad
            > flash' but real did understand what i was doing but at the time I
            > thought I did.

            Have you added the warnings to that page as I requested?

            > This is not how upgrade to SlugOSLe. What I didn't
            > appreciate how this little box holds its firmware in flash.
            >
            > Anyway I have put this down to experience. I am hoping to purchase
            > another nslu2 and try again. I would like to see it working as a file
            > and print server.
            >
            > Once again many thanks.

            The best way to show your thanks is to significantly improve the wiki.
            That's even better thanks than cash donations.

            -- Rod
          • roy_anstee
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

              > roy_anstee wrote:
              > > I am sorry but I not use to posting messages to techincal groups such
              > > as this one and if I have not used the correct protocol I apologise.
              >
              > Your protocol is fine.
              >
              > > What I was trying to achive in the previous posting is to confirm if I
              > > had trashed nslu2 and I was trying to keep my question to a minimum.
              >
              > Yep, it's bricked. But you can recover it with JTAG (or have someone
              > else do that for you).
              >
              > > That said, I find Wiki avery good source of information on this
              > > subject and many other subjects. There is just too much information to
              > > take in.
              >
              > Yes, we need people like yourself to write down the lessons learned, and
              > summarise existing information (leaving out no longer relevant stuff),
              > or marking incorrect or obsolete information as such. Have you done so?

              I am noy sure how I update Wiki with my experiences? Will it not
              confuse people with too much information as I found?
              > (I didn't see your name in the wiki recent changes list ...)
              >
              > Many people complain about the wiki. Very few do something to
              improve it.

              > > At the time I did try the Reset-Button, but I couldn't gain access to
              > > the box through the network interface either directly using a cross
              > > over cable or via a network switch. Nslu2 showed an amber
              > > ready/status light without going through the normal sequence of
              > > flashing leds on power up. The nslu2 just seem to have gone deaf &
              > > dumb and read an article by Jim Buzbee who suggested there was a
              > > problem with nslu2 not detecting the network interface.
              > > At this time I came across another article saying I could see what was
              > > happening on the nslu2 by connecting up the internal serial port.
              > >
              > > I connected the serial interface and sure enough I could see the the
              > > booting up of Redboot but it stopped at what I believe to be unpack of
              > > the linux kernel. It didn't complete the uncompress the kernel.
              >
              > That's when you should have simply gone back into upgrade mode, and
              > reflashed. With serial, you would have even been able to watch it
              > reflash and reboot.
              >
              > > I panicked and just wanted to get it back to factory settings. I read
              > > another article that I could achive this by setting Redboot to receive
              > > the linksys binary file. I used a commands of 'recovering from a bad
              > > flash' but real did understand what i was doing but at the time I
              > > thought I did.
              >
              > Have you added the warnings to that page as I requested?
              >
              > > This is not how upgrade to SlugOSLe. What I didn't
              > > appreciate how this little box holds its firmware in flash.
              > >
              > > Anyway I have put this down to experience. I am hoping to purchase
              > > another nslu2 and try again. I would like to see it working as a file
              > > and print server.
              > >
              > > Once again many thanks.
              >
              > The best way to show your thanks is to significantly improve the wiki.
              > That's even better thanks than cash donations.
              >
              > -- Rod

              I am still confused on how to load SlugOSLe with Intel driver. Do I
              need to build a kernel with an updated NIC driver or can I just use
              the binary as is?
            • Rod Whitby
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2007
                roy_anstee wrote:
                > I am still confused on how to load SlugOSLe with Intel driver. Do I
                > need to build a kernel with an updated NIC driver or can I just use
                > the binary as is?

                Use the Master Makefile. Build slugosle. Flash it using the reset
                button upgrade mode and upslug2. Done.

                -- Rod