Re: [nslu2-general] Can hard drives be hot swapped and used on PC?

  • global dev
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2007
      Your description below using NTFS/FAT32 is exactly what the official does.
      Except i don't think you can hotswap meaning you'll need to reboot the NSLU2
      every time you add/remove a drive. What you won't have is the user
      security/permissions if attached drives were formatted with ext3 (the native
      NSLU2 format). That means anyone on the LAN can read the info...

      ------------------------------

      I'm not planning on doing anything fancy, so I would probably stick to
      the official Linksys firmware. I would like to have two hard drives
      hooked up (possibly more in the future if a hub can be used). The
      file systems of the drives would be either NTFS or FAT since I run
      mostly Windows.

      The drives will be plugged into the slug when I'm at home. When I'm
      at school I would like to have those drives plugged into my laptop
      instead (the slug would stay at home). This is why I'd like to be
      able to connect/disconnect drives to the slug without reformatting.

      If this is not possible with the official firmware I would consider
      using Unslung. :)