NAS enclosure for 3.5" IDE ext3 formatted drive

  • cayspam
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26 5:52 AM
      I'm currently using an old P2 with Zenwalk, which is sharing an 80 GB
      etx3 formatted drive as a Samba share. I think it's got a 200 W PSU
      in it.
      I want to stick it in an enclosure to save some power and space, and
      hopefully not spend more than about $AU200.
      So far I've come across the crappy Netgear SC101.

      I have looked through the database of tested enclosures, and the
      following are the vendors that I have been able to find with local
      resellers (Perth, Australia):

      Spire
      Ultra
      Vantec
      Western Digital

      Will any unit from these vendors meet my requirements, or am I looking
      in the wrong places ?
    • Adam Ward
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
        On Monday 26 February 2007 22:52, cayspam wrote:
        > I'm currently using an old P2 with Zenwalk, which is sharing an 80 GB
        > etx3 formatted drive as a Samba share. I think it's got a 200 W PSU
        > in it.
        > I want to stick it in an enclosure to save some power and space, and
        > hopefully not spend more than about $AU200.
        > So far I've come across the crappy Netgear SC101.
        >
        > I have looked through the database of tested enclosures, and the
        > following are the vendors that I have been able to find with local
        > resellers (Perth, Australia):
        >
        > Spire
        > Ultra
        > Vantec
        > Western Digital
        >
        > Will any unit from these vendors meet my requirements, or am I looking
        > in the wrong places ?

        I did find the dlink dns-300 which as an enclosure would have suited
        perfectly, but its FAT32 only. There is a guy looking at making an
        alternative firmware http://dns-300.sergeyzh.org , but it's too soon for a
        result.

        I ended up getting an NSLU2 (found a local reseller, Harris Technology) and a
        USB2 drive enclosure.

        Currently have unslung on it, and I've played with upslug2 and redboot (at one
        point I thought I had bricked it).
        I haven't yet got a dedicated disk for it, but I'm intending to use OpenSlug
        and put ntpclient, samba and maybe a print server on it :)

        I wasn't able to compile upslug2 with the files referenced from the
        nslu2-linux website, due to a version problem with my build tools (using
        xubuntu). I was able to get a different version of the source at
        http://packages.debian.org/unstable/otherosfs/upslug2 (searched for upslug2).