Have CUPS 1.2.2 working - can't get 1.2.7 to work

  • nathan_crapo
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2007
      I have two NSLU2 print servers, one old and one new. The old one is
      using cups-1.2.2-4 and the new one is using cups-1.2.7-3. I have a
      printer that I'm trying to move from the old server to the new one and
      it won't work with on the newer server. The only difference seems to
      be the vesion of CUPS.

      I have several clients running Windows XP via IPP
      (http://server/printers/printer) and they work great on the old box.
      When I try to add the printer on the new box in Windows XP, the print
      spooler just hangs and uses 100% of the CPU. I can't get it to finish
      adding the printer. I have followed all the info on the NSLU2 page
      and have tried getting any debug information from the server I can. I
      have increased the log level on cupsd to debug and am not seeing
      anything wrong.

      Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanted to go back to the older
      version of cups, but that seems harder than it should be. I can't
      find a way to load older versions of packages via the network, despite
      trying different things, and I can't even install from a file I
      managed to download to a local directory. I have seen questions on
      this forum about downgrading packages, but never an answer.

      I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Can anyone help?

      TIA
    • Peter Richard
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
        One thing you could try is to copy the cups installation of 1.2.2-4
        from the old NSLU2 to the new one. To do this you need to know what
        files are needed. To find this info use the cups ipkg infomation
        thats in /usr/lib/ipkg/info. You will find several files that are
        used in cups installation:

        cups.prerm - a pre-install script to kill any running cupsd daemen
        cups.list - a long list of installed files
        cups.control - information on version and dependecies
        cups.conf - list of conf files

        use cups list to tar up a copy of an installed cups 1.2.2-4 using

        tar -cvf cups.tar -T /usr/lib/ipkg/info/cups.list

        this creates an tar file of all the scattered cups files including
        any current conf files
        transfer the cups.tar file (around 7 MB) to the new NSLU2 and kill
        any cupsd process and untar to the same locations with:

        tar xvf cups.tar

        peter
        On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:35 AM, nathan_crapo wrote:

        > I have two NSLU2 print servers, one old and one new. The old one is
        > using cups-1.2.2-4 and the new one is using cups-1.2.7-3. I have a
        > printer that I'm trying to move from the old server to the new one and
        > it won't work with on the newer server. The only difference seems to
        > be the vesion of CUPS.
        >
        > I have several clients running Windows XP via IPP
        > (http://server/printers/printer) and they work great on the old box.
        > When I try to add the printer on the new box in Windows XP, the print
        > spooler just hangs and uses 100% of the CPU. I can't get it to finish
        > adding the printer. I have followed all the info on the NSLU2 page
        > and have tried getting any debug information from the server I can. I
        > have increased the log level on cupsd to debug and am not seeing
        > anything wrong.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanted to go back to the older
        > version of cups, but that seems harder than it should be. I can't
        > find a way to load older versions of packages via the network, despite
        > trying different things, and I can't even install from a file I
        > managed to download to a local directory. I have seen questions on
        > this forum about downgrading packages, but never an answer.
        >
        > I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Can anyone help?
        >
        > TIA
      • nathan_crapo
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
          Many thanks for the reply.

          I tried that already by taking the output of 'ipkg files cups' and
          sending it to tar with -T similar to what you mention, but then I was
          unable to get the old version of cups to work because it needed an
          older version of openldap-libs. I didn't pursue it any further
          because it looks like a decent into dependency hell.

          BTW - I also copied the old version of cups-doc over.

          Do you know if there is a way to install old packages via ipkg? I've
          seen this question posed quite a few times without answer. I can't
          even get ipkg to install a package from a local file like it's
          supposed to; seen lots of other complains about that, too.

          Maybe I need to clone my whole slug from one to another and just
          change the hostname and a few other things. Kind of a pain, but it
          should work.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Richard <pdfrichard@...>
          wrote:

          > One thing you could try is to copy the cups installation of 1.2.2-4
          > from the old NSLU2 to the new one. To do this you need to know what
          > files are needed. To find this info use the cups ipkg infomation
          > thats in /usr/lib/ipkg/info. You will find several files that are
          > used in cups installation:
          >
          > cups.prerm - a pre-install script to kill any running cupsd daemen
          > cups.list - a long list of installed files
          > cups.control - information on version and dependecies
          > cups.conf - list of conf files
          >
          > use cups list to tar up a copy of an installed cups 1.2.2-4 using
          >
          > tar -cvf cups.tar -T /usr/lib/ipkg/info/cups.list
          >
          > this creates an tar file of all the scattered cups files including
          > any current conf files
          > transfer the cups.tar file (around 7 MB) to the new NSLU2 and kill
          > any cupsd process and untar to the same locations with:
          >
          > tar xvf cups.tar
          >
          > peter
          > On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:35 AM, nathan_crapo wrote:
          >
          > > I have two NSLU2 print servers, one old and one new. The old one is
          > > using cups-1.2.2-4 and the new one is using cups-1.2.7-3. I have a
          > > printer that I'm trying to move from the old server to the new one and
          > > it won't work with on the newer server. The only difference seems to
          > > be the vesion of CUPS.
          > >
          > > I have several clients running Windows XP via IPP
          > > (http://server/printers/printer) and they work great on the old box.
          > > When I try to add the printer on the new box in Windows XP, the print
          > > spooler just hangs and uses 100% of the CPU. I can't get it to finish
          > > adding the printer. I have followed all the info on the NSLU2 page
          > > and have tried getting any debug information from the server I can. I
          > > have increased the log level on cupsd to debug and am not seeing
          > > anything wrong.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanted to go back to the older
          > > version of cups, but that seems harder than it should be. I can't
          > > find a way to load older versions of packages via the network, despite
          > > trying different things, and I can't even install from a file I
          > > managed to download to a local directory. I have seen questions on
          > > this forum about downgrading packages, but never an answer.
          > >
          > > I'm about ready to pull my hair out. Can anyone help?
          > >
          > > TIA

        • Peter Richard
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
            About cups-1.2.7-3 have you read though http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
            wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter to see if you can get the newer package working?

            If you have the original older package file (say xxx.ipk), then you
            could always try one of the force options on the old xxx.ipk, but you
            might get premature dependency baldness if other things have been
            updated.

            ipkg -force-overwrite -force-depends install xxx.ipk

            The trouble is finding an older ipk as the online ipkg sources get
            updated and there doesn't seem to be an archive preserving the older
            versions. And if you used the standard wget install (ipkg install
            xxx), the xxx.ipx is temporary and is trashed after installation.

            peter

          • nathan_crapo
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
              Q: have you read though
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter to see if you can get
              the newer package working?
              A: Yes. There is one detail that is specific to 1.2.7-3 that I
              tried, with no luck. :(

              I think the dependency issues are going to prevent me from even doing
              a local install of an older package, anyhow. It's really the same
              result as using the tarball, just slower and messier.

              I'll try adding the options you included with ipkg and my older
              version of the cups package. I did a google on the old package name
              and managed to pick up a copy. It appears to be the same package as
              what's installed on my old machine - I'll do a file comparison to
              double check.

              wrote:

              > About cups-1.2.7-3 have you read though http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
              > wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter to see if you can get the newer package working?
              >
              > If you have the original older package file (say xxx.ipk), then you
              > could always try one of the force options on the old xxx.ipk, but you
              > might get premature dependency baldness if other things have been
              > updated.
              >
              > ipkg -force-overwrite -force-depends install xxx.ipk
              >
              > The trouble is finding an older ipk as the online ipkg sources get
              > updated and there doesn't seem to be an archive preserving the older
              > versions. And if you used the standard wget install (ipkg install
              > xxx), the xxx.ipx is temporary and is trashed after installation.
              >
              > peter
              >
              > On Feb 14, 2007, at 2:40 PM, nathan_crapo wrote:
              >
              > > Many thanks for the reply.
              > >
              > > I tried that already by taking the output of 'ipkg files cups' and
              > > sending it to tar with -T similar to what you mention, but then I was
              > > unable to get the old version of cups to work because it needed an
              > > older version of openldap-libs. I didn't pursue it any further
              > > because it looks like a decent into dependency hell.
              > >
              > > BTW - I also copied the old version of cups-doc over.
              > >
              > > Do you know if there is a way to install old packages via ipkg? I've
              > > seen this question posed quite a few times without answer. I can't
              > > even get ipkg to install a package from a local file like it's
              > > supposed to; seen lots of other complains about that, too.
              > >
              > > Maybe I need to clone my whole slug from one to another and just
              > > change the hostname and a few other things. Kind of a pain, but it
              > > should work.
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Peter Richard <pdfrichard@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> One thing you could try is to copy the cups installation of 1.2.2-4
              > >> from the old NSLU2 to the new one. To do this you need to know what
              > >> files are needed. To find this info use the cups ipkg infomation
              > >> thats in /usr/lib/ipkg/info. You will find several files that are
              > >> used in cups installation:
              > >>
              > >> cups.prerm - a pre-install script to kill any running cupsd daemen
              > >> cups.list - a long list of installed files
              > >> cups.control - information on version and dependecies
              > >> cups.conf - list of conf files
              > >>
              > >> use cups list to tar up a copy of an installed cups 1.2.2-4 using
              > >>
              > >> tar -cvf cups.tar -T /usr/lib/ipkg/info/cups.list
              > >>
              > >> this creates an tar file of all the scattered cups files including
              > >> any current conf files
              > >> transfer the cups.tar file (around 7 MB) to the new NSLU2 and kill
              > >> any cupsd process and untar to the same locations with:
              > >>
              > >> tar xvf cups.tar
              > >>
              > >> peter

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
                If you have the Optware version of Cups designed to run on Unslung
                firmware then most of the old versions are still available from :-

                <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/unstable/>

                In message <er07l0+2t89@...>, nathan_crapo
                <nathan_crapo@...> writes

                --