Re: [nslu2-general] Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?

  • lian jian
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
      Thanks for information,
      I do have findutils package installed already but "find" command can't be found
      "Tme" command cannot be found as well.
      Thanks again.

      Jens Heinitz <jens.heinitz@...> wrote: Hi,

      in order to use find, you need to install the package "findutils". In order to check which packages you have installed you can type:

      ipkg list_installed

      In order to see which packages are available, you can type:

      ipkg list

      in order to update the list of packages available for installation, type:

      ipkg update

      in order to install an additional package, type:

      ipkg install <name of package>
      Example: ipkg install findutils

      Regarding your command "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", I'm not sure what cannot be found. Have you tried if the individual files exist?

      ls -l /dev/zero
      time
      dd

      Hope that helps.

      Regards

      Jens
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
        Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
        output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
        I don't know why it is that slow

        Netio result:

        NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel

        TCP connection established.
        Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 2k bytes: 11471 KByte/s Tx, 11458 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 4k bytes: 11485 KByte/s Tx, 11464 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 8k bytes: 11599 KByte/s Tx, 11477 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 16k bytes: 11610 KByte/s Tx, 11508 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 32k bytes: 11551 KByte/s Tx, 11488 KByte/s Rx.
        Done.

        On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:24 -0800, lian jian wrote:

        > I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
        > tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048",
        > but got the error message "file not found"

        The "time" command i use is a bash builtin.

        You can use the "/bin/dd" from busybox but there is also a dd in
        the "coreutils" package. That "dd" shows the transfer rates without
        difficulties.

        Note:
        s> Command on the slug
        c> Command on the client system

        As an example:

        s> # /opt/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=256
        s> 256+0 records in
        s> 256+0 records out
        s> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 42.9589 s, 6.2 MB/s

        Note:
        This is an old slow 20 GB disk.

        A example of netio:

        s> # netio -s
        s>
        s> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        s> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        s>
        s> UDP server listening.
        s> TCP server listening.
        s> TCP connection established ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 1k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 1k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 2k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 2k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 4k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 4k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 8k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 8k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 16k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 16k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 32k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 32k ...
        s> Done.
        s> TCP server listening.

        c> $ netio -t paard
        c>
        c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        c> connect(): Connection refused
        c>
        c> -bash-3.2$ netio -t paard
        c>
        c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        c>
        c> TCP connection established.
        c> Packet size 1k bytes: 10036 KByte/s Tx, 11258 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 2k bytes: 11182 KByte/s Tx, 11325 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 4k bytes: 13065 KByte/s Tx, 13925 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 8k bytes: 12287 KByte/s Tx, 12121 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 16k bytes: 11946 KByte/s Tx, 11296 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 32k bytes: 13093 KByte/s Tx, 12817 KByte/s Rx.

        --
        marceln

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
          On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:34 -0800, lian jian wrote:
          > Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
          > output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
          > I don't know why it is that slow

          Probably this is the problem!

          1) What kind of filesystem do you use
          2) Is this filesystem mounted "async"
          - Using the sync option gives very bad performance
          3) Is the disk directly connected to the slug and correctly
          setup as high speed device.
          - A usb 1 hub could cause this kind of speed.
          4) Does the disk contains errors.
          - Repeated reads/writes on error could also cause
          serious performance losse.

          Check what the output of the commands "mount" and "dmesg".

          > Netio result:
          >
          > NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
          > (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
          >
          > TCP connection established.
          > Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.

          This is probably if you connect the cable direct to the slug.
          I don't think that a wireless 54 Mbit connection has this
          throughput.

          --
          marceln
        • lian jian
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
            Thanks Marcel,

            I used NTFS as file system. Backup my data to other machine and format my HD with NSLU2 with ext3, overclock the slug, then redo the dd test, now I have 7.7MB/s

            Jian