Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Perhaps a FAQ entry? Slowness with login/Samba

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty17510233" <alasdair@...> wrote:
      >> I've been having troubles with the Slug and was about to dump it for
      >> being too slow but seem to have sorted out the problem. The problem I
      >> was seeing was that it took ages (2 minutes) to open a Samba share and
      >> also that when logging in via SSH, the password prompt would appear
      >> about 10 seconds after I had hit 'enter' on my username.
      >>
      >> The problems all seem to stem from using the R63 firmware from Linksys
      >> before doing the Debian install. I reverted to R25, did a factory
      >> reset, reinstalled Debian, and all my problems seem to have gone away.

      I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
      you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
      reads the network setup information). So the resolution must have come
      from somewhere else.

      -- Rod
    • bty17510233
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
        > I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
        > you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
        > reads the network setup information).

        I'm not disputing what you are saying (since my knowledge of the slug
        is almost non-existant!) but the steps I took to rectify the problem
        are correct. Having installed R63 and then installed Debian, everything
        ran slowly (I am sure I made changes to the settings using the Linksys
        web interface so this may cause a problem?).

        I re-installed the Debian firmware and it all still ran slowly (very
        long login prompts). I then installed R25, and did a factory reset
        (maybe this cured my problem?) and then everything ran fine.

        Is there the possibility that the Linksys firmware flashes more than
        just the device's flash? Is there the possibility that it flashes
        something on the network controller's firmware?

        I really don't know, but I am 100% sure that the reflash/factory reset
        cured the problem rather than anything else.

        I'd like to get another slug and try this out (use the R63 firmware
        normally ... as in wipe a disk and add some files) to see if I can
        replicate the problem.

        It was one of the other posters' problem which made me revert the
        firmware. I'd love to know if anyone else has similar symptoms ... ?
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
          bty17510233 wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
          >> I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
          >> you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
          >> reads the network setup information).
          >
          > Is there the possibility that the Linksys firmware flashes more than
          > just the device's flash? Is there the possibility that it flashes
          > something on the network controller's firmware?

          Believe me, we know the programmability of this device inside and out,
          after working on it for over two and a half years. There is no
          possibility. The only things which are not touched are the RedBoot
          bootloader partition (which not even the Linksys web upgrade touches)
          and the SysConf partition (which is only accessed by Debian for the
          network settings).

          -- Rod