Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [nslu2-general] Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?

Expand Messages
  • Marcel Nijenhof
    ... The time command i use is a bash builtin. You can use the /bin/dd from busybox but there is also a dd in the coreutils package. That dd shows the
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:24 -0800, lian jian wrote:

      > I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
      > tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048",
      > but got the error message "file not found"

      The "time" command i use is a bash builtin.

      You can use the "/bin/dd" from busybox but there is also a dd in
      the "coreutils" package. That "dd" shows the transfer rates without
      difficulties.

      Note:
      s> Command on the slug
      c> Command on the client system

      As an example:

      s> # /opt/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=256
      s> 256+0 records in
      s> 256+0 records out
      s> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 42.9589 s, 6.2 MB/s

      Note:
      This is an old slow 20 GB disk.

      A example of netio:

      s> # netio -s
      s>
      s> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
      s> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
      s>
      s> UDP server listening.
      s> TCP server listening.
      s> TCP connection established ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 1k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 1k ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 2k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 2k ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 4k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 4k ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 8k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 8k ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 16k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 16k ...
      s> Receiving from client, packet size 32k ...
      s> Sending to client, packet size 32k ...
      s> Done.
      s> TCP server listening.

      c> $ netio -t paard
      c>
      c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
      c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
      c> connect(): Connection refused
      c>
      c> -bash-3.2$ netio -t paard
      c>
      c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
      c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
      c>
      c> TCP connection established.
      c> Packet size 1k bytes: 10036 KByte/s Tx, 11258 KByte/s Rx.
      c> Packet size 2k bytes: 11182 KByte/s Tx, 11325 KByte/s Rx.
      c> Packet size 4k bytes: 13065 KByte/s Tx, 13925 KByte/s Rx.
      c> Packet size 8k bytes: 12287 KByte/s Tx, 12121 KByte/s Rx.
      c> Packet size 16k bytes: 11946 KByte/s Tx, 11296 KByte/s Rx.
      c> Packet size 32k bytes: 13093 KByte/s Tx, 12817 KByte/s Rx.

      --
      marceln
    • Jens Heinitz
      Hi, in order to use find, you need to install the package findutils . In order to check which packages you have installed you can type: ipkg list_installed In
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        in order to use find, you need to install the package "findutils". In order to check which packages you have installed you can type:

        ipkg list_installed

        In order to see which packages are available, you can type:

        ipkg list

        in order to update the list of packages available for installation, type:

        ipkg update

        in order to install an additional package, type:

        ipkg install <name of package>
        Example: ipkg install findutils

        Regarding your command "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", I'm not sure what cannot be found. Have you tried if the individual files exist?

        ls -l /dev/zero
        time
        dd

        Hope that helps.

        Regards

        Jens
        ----- Original Message -----
        From: lian jian
        To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:24 PM
        Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?


        I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
        tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", but got the error message "file not found"
        some other linux commands could not be used as well, such as "find", anything I need to do to get those cmd accessible?
        Thanks

        Unslung 6.8 Beta
        Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote: On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 06:37 +0000, John wrote:
        > 1)My network
        > Room 1: Cable Modem <===> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router <===> PC-1
        > Room 2: WRT54G Wireless router<===> PC-2,SLUG, PAP2
        > WRT54G uses DD-WRT firmware V2.3 and works in "Client Bridge"mode to
        > pick up the wireless signal from DI-624 router. PC-2, SLUG, PAP2 are
        > attached to WRT54G. Wifi speed is 54Mbps.
        > 2) the HD is Maxtor OneTouchâ"¢ III External Hard Drive (R01E060)
        > Portable storage ,5400RPM spindle speed and USB 2.0 interface .
        >
        > 3) Copy one file of 2GB from laptop with wifi 802.11G to HD attached
        > to SLUG

        1) Verify the speed of the disk with dd
        e.g.: time dd if=/dev/zero of=<some file> bs=1024k count=2048
        2) Verify the speed of the network with netio
        3) What is the speed if you connect your laptop with a cable to the
        slug.
        4) Check the type of filesystem you use.
        There are known problems with ntfs on slug disks.

        --
        marceln





        ---------------------------------
        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • lian jian
        Thanks for information, I do have findutils package installed already but find command can t be found Tme command cannot be found as well. Thanks again.
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Thanks for information,
          I do have findutils package installed already but "find" command can't be found
          "Tme" command cannot be found as well.
          Thanks again.


          Jens Heinitz <jens.heinitz@...> wrote: Hi,

          in order to use find, you need to install the package "findutils". In order to check which packages you have installed you can type:

          ipkg list_installed

          In order to see which packages are available, you can type:

          ipkg list

          in order to update the list of packages available for installation, type:

          ipkg update

          in order to install an additional package, type:

          ipkg install <name of package>
          Example: ipkg install findutils

          Regarding your command "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", I'm not sure what cannot be found. Have you tried if the individual files exist?

          ls -l /dev/zero
          time
          dd

          Hope that helps.

          Regards

          Jens
          ----- Original Message -----
          From: lian jian
          To: nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 8:24 PM
          Subject: Re: [nslu2-general] Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?

          I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
          tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", but got the error message "file not found"
          some other linux commands could not be used as well, such as "find", anything I need to do to get those cmd accessible?
          Thanks

          Unslung 6.8 Beta
          Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote: On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 06:37 +0000, John wrote:
          > 1)My network
          > Room 1: Cable Modem <===> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router <===> PC-1
          > Room 2: WRT54G Wireless router<===> PC-2,SLUG, PAP2
          > WRT54G uses DD-WRT firmware V2.3 and works in "Client Bridge"mode to
          > pick up the wireless signal from DI-624 router. PC-2, SLUG, PAP2 are
          > attached to WRT54G. Wifi speed is 54Mbps.
          > 2) the HD is Maxtor OneTouch?amp;quot;?III External Hard Drive (R01E060)
          > Portable storage ,5400RPM spindle speed and USB 2.0 interface .
          >
          > 3) Copy one file of 2GB from laptop with wifi 802.11G to HD attached
          > to SLUG

          1) Verify the speed of the disk with dd
          e.g.: time dd if=/dev/zero of=<some file> bs=1024k count=2048
          2) Verify the speed of the network with netio
          3) What is the speed if you connect your laptop with a cable to the
          slug.
          4) Check the type of filesystem you use.
          There are known problems with ntfs on slug disks.

          --
          marceln

          ---------------------------------
          Don't pick lemons.
          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]






          ---------------------------------
          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • lian jian
          Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils, output copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s I don t know why it is that slow Netio result: NETIO - Network Throughput
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
            output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
            I don't know why it is that slow

            Netio result:

            NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel

            TCP connection established.
            Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.
            Packet size 2k bytes: 11471 KByte/s Tx, 11458 KByte/s Rx.
            Packet size 4k bytes: 11485 KByte/s Tx, 11464 KByte/s Rx.
            Packet size 8k bytes: 11599 KByte/s Tx, 11477 KByte/s Rx.
            Packet size 16k bytes: 11610 KByte/s Tx, 11508 KByte/s Rx.
            Packet size 32k bytes: 11551 KByte/s Tx, 11488 KByte/s Rx.
            Done.



            Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
            On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:24 -0800, lian jian wrote:

            > I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
            > tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048",
            > but got the error message "file not found"

            The "time" command i use is a bash builtin.

            You can use the "/bin/dd" from busybox but there is also a dd in
            the "coreutils" package. That "dd" shows the transfer rates without
            difficulties.

            Note:
            s> Command on the slug
            c> Command on the client system

            As an example:

            s> # /opt/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=256
            s> 256+0 records in
            s> 256+0 records out
            s> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 42.9589 s, 6.2 MB/s

            Note:
            This is an old slow 20 GB disk.

            A example of netio:

            s> # netio -s
            s>
            s> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            s> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            s>
            s> UDP server listening.
            s> TCP server listening.
            s> TCP connection established ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 1k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 1k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 2k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 2k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 4k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 4k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 8k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 8k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 16k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 16k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 32k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 32k ...
            s> Done.
            s> TCP server listening.

            c> $ netio -t paard
            c>
            c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            c> connect(): Connection refused
            c>
            c> -bash-3.2$ netio -t paard
            c>
            c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            c>
            c> TCP connection established.
            c> Packet size 1k bytes: 10036 KByte/s Tx, 11258 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 2k bytes: 11182 KByte/s Tx, 11325 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 4k bytes: 13065 KByte/s Tx, 13925 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 8k bytes: 12287 KByte/s Tx, 12121 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 16k bytes: 11946 KByte/s Tx, 11296 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 32k bytes: 13093 KByte/s Tx, 12817 KByte/s Rx.

            --
            marceln






            ---------------------------------
            Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Marcel Nijenhof
            ... Probably this is the problem! 1) What kind of filesystem do you use 2) Is this filesystem mounted async - Using the sync option gives very bad
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:34 -0800, lian jian wrote:
              > Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
              > output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
              > I don't know why it is that slow

              Probably this is the problem!

              1) What kind of filesystem do you use
              2) Is this filesystem mounted "async"
              - Using the sync option gives very bad performance
              3) Is the disk directly connected to the slug and correctly
              setup as high speed device.
              - A usb 1 hub could cause this kind of speed.
              4) Does the disk contains errors.
              - Repeated reads/writes on error could also cause
              serious performance losse.

              Check what the output of the commands "mount" and "dmesg".

              >
              > Netio result:
              >
              > NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
              > (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
              >
              > TCP connection established.
              > Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.

              This is probably if you connect the cable direct to the slug.
              I don't think that a wireless 54 Mbit connection has this
              throughput.

              --
              marceln
            • lian jian
              Thanks Marcel, I used NTFS as file system. Backup my data to other machine and format my HD with NSLU2 with ext3, overclock the slug, then redo the dd test,
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                Thanks Marcel,

                I used NTFS as file system. Backup my data to other machine and format my HD with NSLU2 with ext3, overclock the slug, then redo the dd test, now I have 7.7MB/s

                Jian

                Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:
                On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:34 -0800, lian jian wrote:
                > Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
                > output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
                > I don't know why it is that slow

                Probably this is the problem!

                1) What kind of filesystem do you use
                2) Is this filesystem mounted "async"
                - Using the sync option gives very bad performance
                3) Is the disk directly connected to the slug and correctly
                setup as high speed device.
                - A usb 1 hub could cause this kind of speed.
                4) Does the disk contains errors.
                - Repeated reads/writes on error could also cause
                serious performance losse.

                Check what the output of the commands "mount" and "dmesg".

                >
                > Netio result:
                >
                > NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
                > (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
                >
                > TCP connection established.
                > Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.

                This is probably if you connect the cable direct to the slug.
                I don't think that a wireless 54 Mbit connection has this
                throughput.

                --
                marceln






                ---------------------------------
                Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and
                always stay connected to friends.

                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.