Re: [nslu2-general] Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?

  • lian jian
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
      I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
      tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", but got the error message "file not found"
      some other linux commands could not be used as well, such as "find", anything I need to do to get those cmd accessible?
      Thanks

      Unslung 6.8 Beta
      Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote: On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 06:37 +0000, John wrote:
      > 1)My network
      > Room 1: Cable Modem <===> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router <===> PC-1
      > Room 2: WRT54G Wireless router<===> PC-2,SLUG, PAP2
      > WRT54G uses DD-WRT firmware V2.3 and works in "Client Bridge"mode to
      > pick up the wireless signal from DI-624 router. PC-2, SLUG, PAP2 are
      > attached to WRT54G. Wifi speed is 54Mbps.
      > 2) the HD is Maxtor OneTouch™ III External Hard Drive (R01E060)
      > Portable storage ,5400RPM spindle speed and USB 2.0 interface .
      >
      > 3) Copy one file of 2GB from laptop with wifi 802.11G to HD attached
      > to SLUG

      1) Verify the speed of the disk with dd
      e.g.: time dd if=/dev/zero of=<some file> bs=1024k count=2048
      2) Verify the speed of the network with netio
      3) What is the speed if you connect your laptop with a cable to the
      slug.
      4) Check the type of filesystem you use.
      There are known problems with ntfs on slug disks.

      --
      marceln

    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
        On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:24 -0800, lian jian wrote:

        > I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
        > tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048",
        > but got the error message "file not found"

        The "time" command i use is a bash builtin.

        You can use the "/bin/dd" from busybox but there is also a dd in
        the "coreutils" package. That "dd" shows the transfer rates without
        difficulties.

        Note:
        s> Command on the slug
        c> Command on the client system

        As an example:

        s> # /opt/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=256
        s> 256+0 records in
        s> 256+0 records out
        s> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 42.9589 s, 6.2 MB/s

        Note:
        This is an old slow 20 GB disk.

        A example of netio:

        s> # netio -s
        s>
        s> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        s> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        s>
        s> UDP server listening.
        s> TCP server listening.
        s> TCP connection established ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 1k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 1k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 2k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 2k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 4k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 4k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 8k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 8k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 16k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 16k ...
        s> Receiving from client, packet size 32k ...
        s> Sending to client, packet size 32k ...
        s> Done.
        s> TCP server listening.

        c> $ netio -t paard
        c>
        c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        c> connect(): Connection refused
        c>
        c> -bash-3.2$ netio -t paard
        c>
        c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
        c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
        c>
        c> TCP connection established.
        c> Packet size 1k bytes: 10036 KByte/s Tx, 11258 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 2k bytes: 11182 KByte/s Tx, 11325 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 4k bytes: 13065 KByte/s Tx, 13925 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 8k bytes: 12287 KByte/s Tx, 12121 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 16k bytes: 11946 KByte/s Tx, 11296 KByte/s Rx.
        c> Packet size 32k bytes: 13093 KByte/s Tx, 12817 KByte/s Rx.

        --
        marceln
      • Jens Heinitz
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007

          in order to use find, you need to install the package "findutils". In order to check which packages you have installed you can type:

          ipkg list_installed

          In order to see which packages are available, you can type:

          ipkg list

          in order to update the list of packages available for installation, type:

          ipkg update

          in order to install an additional package, type:

          ipkg install <name of package>
          Example: ipkg install findutils

          Regarding your command "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", I'm not sure what cannot be found. Have you tried if the individual files exist?

          ls -l /dev/zero
          time
          dd

          Hope that helps.

          Regards

          Jens

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
            Thanks for information,
            I do have findutils package installed already but "find" command can't be found
            "Tme" command cannot be found as well.
            Thanks again.

            Jens Heinitz <jens.heinitz@...> wrote: Hi,

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
              Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
              output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
              I don't know why it is that slow

              Netio result:

              NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
              (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel

              TCP connection established.
              Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.
              Packet size 2k bytes: 11471 KByte/s Tx, 11458 KByte/s Rx.
              Packet size 4k bytes: 11485 KByte/s Tx, 11464 KByte/s Rx.
              Packet size 8k bytes: 11599 KByte/s Tx, 11477 KByte/s Rx.
              Packet size 16k bytes: 11610 KByte/s Tx, 11508 KByte/s Rx.
              Packet size 32k bytes: 11551 KByte/s Tx, 11488 KByte/s Rx.
              Done.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
                On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:34 -0800, lian jian wrote:
                > Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
                > output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
                > I don't know why it is that slow

                Probably this is the problem!

                1) What kind of filesystem do you use
                2) Is this filesystem mounted "async"
                - Using the sync option gives very bad performance
                3) Is the disk directly connected to the slug and correctly
                setup as high speed device.
                - A usb 1 hub could cause this kind of speed.
                4) Does the disk contains errors.
                - Repeated reads/writes on error could also cause
                serious performance losse.

                Check what the output of the commands "mount" and "dmesg".

                > Netio result:
                >
                > NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
                > (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
                >
                > TCP connection established.
                > Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.

                This is probably if you connect the cable direct to the slug.
                I don't think that a wireless 54 Mbit connection has this
                throughput.

                --
                marceln
              • lian jian
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Thanks Marcel,

                  I used NTFS as file system. Backup my data to other machine and format my HD with NSLU2 with ext3, overclock the slug, then redo the dd test, now I have 7.7MB/s

                  Jian