Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Perhaps a FAQ entry? Slowness with login/Samba

Expand Messages
  • bty17510233
    Hi, I ve been having troubles with the Slug and was about to dump it for being too slow but seem to have sorted out the problem. The problem I was seeing was
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi,
      I've been having troubles with the Slug and was about to dump it for
      being too slow but seem to have sorted out the problem. The problem I
      was seeing was that it took ages (2 minutes) to open a Samba share and
      also that when logging in via SSH, the password prompt would appear
      about 10 seconds after I had hit 'enter' on my username.

      The problems all seem to stem from using the R63 firmware from Linksys
      before doing the Debian install. I reverted to R25, did a factory
      reset, reinstalled Debian, and all my problems seem to have gone away.

      I don't really understand why the Linksys firmware version should
      affect the performance of the Debian install I am using, but it
      definitely does.

      Has anyone else experienced this (you'll know, because ssh to the Slug
      has a long wait before the password prompt is displayed)?

      Al
    • Kevin Stroud
      Hi, I saw a similar problem (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/5925) - Interesting about reverting to R25, then installing, then no
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        I saw a similar problem
        (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/5925) -
        Interesting about reverting to R25, then installing, then no problems.




        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty17510233" <alasdair@...> wrote:
        >
        > Hi,
        > I've been having troubles with the Slug and was about to dump it for
        > being too slow but seem to have sorted out the problem. The problem I
        > was seeing was that it took ages (2 minutes) to open a Samba share and
        > also that when logging in via SSH, the password prompt would appear
        > about 10 seconds after I had hit 'enter' on my username.
        >
        > The problems all seem to stem from using the R63 firmware from Linksys
        > before doing the Debian install. I reverted to R25, did a factory
        > reset, reinstalled Debian, and all my problems seem to have gone away.
        >
        > I don't really understand why the Linksys firmware version should
        > affect the performance of the Debian install I am using, but it
        > definitely does.
        >
        > Has anyone else experienced this (you'll know, because ssh to the Slug
        > has a long wait before the password prompt is displayed)?
        >
        > Al
        >
      • Rod Whitby
        ... I m sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only reads the
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty17510233" <alasdair@...> wrote:
          >> I've been having troubles with the Slug and was about to dump it for
          >> being too slow but seem to have sorted out the problem. The problem I
          >> was seeing was that it took ages (2 minutes) to open a Samba share and
          >> also that when logging in via SSH, the password prompt would appear
          >> about 10 seconds after I had hit 'enter' on my username.
          >>
          >> The problems all seem to stem from using the R63 firmware from Linksys
          >> before doing the Debian install. I reverted to R25, did a factory
          >> reset, reinstalled Debian, and all my problems seem to have gone away.

          I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
          you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
          reads the network setup information). So the resolution must have come
          from somewhere else.

          -- Rod
        • bty17510233
          ... I m not disputing what you are saying (since my knowledge of the slug is almost non-existant!) but the steps I took to rectify the problem are correct.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
            > I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
            > you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
            > reads the network setup information).

            I'm not disputing what you are saying (since my knowledge of the slug
            is almost non-existant!) but the steps I took to rectify the problem
            are correct. Having installed R63 and then installed Debian, everything
            ran slowly (I am sure I made changes to the settings using the Linksys
            web interface so this may cause a problem?).

            I re-installed the Debian firmware and it all still ran slowly (very
            long login prompts). I then installed R25, and did a factory reset
            (maybe this cured my problem?) and then everything ran fine.

            Is there the possibility that the Linksys firmware flashes more than
            just the device's flash? Is there the possibility that it flashes
            something on the network controller's firmware?

            I really don't know, but I am 100% sure that the reflash/factory reset
            cured the problem rather than anything else.

            I'd like to get another slug and try this out (use the R63 firmware
            normally ... as in wipe a disk and add some files) to see if I can
            replicate the problem.

            It was one of the other posters' problem which made me revert the
            firmware. I'd love to know if anyone else has similar symptoms ... ?
          • Rod Whitby
            ... Believe me, we know the programmability of this device inside and out, after working on it for over two and a half years. There is no possibility. The
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              bty17510233 wrote:
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
              >> I'm sorry, but there is *nothing* left of R25 or R63 in the flash when
              >> you install Debian except your sysconf settings (of which Debian only
              >> reads the network setup information).
              >
              > Is there the possibility that the Linksys firmware flashes more than
              > just the device's flash? Is there the possibility that it flashes
              > something on the network controller's firmware?

              Believe me, we know the programmability of this device inside and out,
              after working on it for over two and a half years. There is no
              possibility. The only things which are not touched are the RedBoot
              bootloader partition (which not even the Linksys web upgrade touches)
              and the SysConf partition (which is only accessed by Debian for the
              network settings).

              -- Rod
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.