Re: how to make NSLU2 work on WLAN?

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2007
      1)My network
      Room 1: Cable Modem <===> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router <===> PC-1
      Room 2: WRT54G Wireless router<===> PC-2,SLUG, PAP2
      WRT54G uses DD-WRT firmware V2.3 and works in "Client Bridge"mode to
      pick up the wireless signal from DI-624 router. PC-2, SLUG, PAP2 are
      attached to WRT54G. Wifi speed is 54Mbps.
      2) the HD is Maxtor OneTouch™ III External Hard Drive (R01E060)
      Portable storage ,5400RPM spindle speed and USB 2.0 interface .

      3) Copy one file of 2GB from laptop with wifi 802.11G to HD attached
      to SLUG

      Thanks for help.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>
      wrote:

      > On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 15:41 +0000, John wrote:
      > > I am a newbie here and I just installed NSLU2 to my WLAN and
      tried to
      > > copy 2GB data from my computer to the external HD which is on
      port 1
      > > of NSLU2. The estimate time is 2 hours and the transfer rate is
      really
      > > slow. How do you guys make NSLU2 work on WLAN? any configuration
      need
      > > to be changed? firmware version: V23R63
      >
      > 1) Give precisie information about the configuration
      > - Do you have the slug attached to a wlan router or do
      > you use a wlan usb adapter
      > 2) Try to find the slowest step
      > - What is the speed of the network
      > - What is the speed of the disk
      > 3) Give details what you ary trying to copy
      > - 1 file of 2 GB is much faster then 2 miljard
      > files of 1k
      >
      > Otherwise there is no sensible answer possible.
      >
      > --
      > marceln

    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
        On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 06:37 +0000, John wrote:
        > 1)My network
        > Room 1: Cable Modem <===> D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router <===> PC-1
        > Room 2: WRT54G Wireless router<===> PC-2,SLUG, PAP2
        > WRT54G uses DD-WRT firmware V2.3 and works in "Client Bridge"mode to
        > pick up the wireless signal from DI-624 router. PC-2, SLUG, PAP2 are
        > attached to WRT54G. Wifi speed is 54Mbps.
        > 2) the HD is Maxtor OneTouch™ III External Hard Drive (R01E060)
        > Portable storage ,5400RPM spindle speed and USB 2.0 interface .
        >
        > 3) Copy one file of 2GB from laptop with wifi 802.11G to HD attached
        > to SLUG

        1) Verify the speed of the disk with dd
        e.g.: time dd if=/dev/zero of=<some file> bs=1024k count=2048
        2) Verify the speed of the network with netio
        3) What is the speed if you connect your laptop with a cable to the
        slug.
        4) Check the type of filesystem you use.
        There are known problems with ntfs on slug disks.

        --
        marceln
      • lian jian
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
          I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
          tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", but got the error message "file not found"
          some other linux commands could not be used as well, such as "find", anything I need to do to get those cmd accessible?
          Thanks

          Unslung 6.8 Beta

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
            On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:24 -0800, lian jian wrote:

            > I am using Unslung 6.8 on my slug,
            > tried to use "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048",
            > but got the error message "file not found"

            The "time" command i use is a bash builtin.

            You can use the "/bin/dd" from busybox but there is also a dd in
            the "coreutils" package. That "dd" shows the transfer rates without
            difficulties.

            Note:
            s> Command on the slug
            c> Command on the client system

            As an example:

            s> # /opt/bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=256
            s> 256+0 records in
            s> 256+0 records out
            s> 268435456 bytes (268 MB) copied, 42.9589 s, 6.2 MB/s

            Note:
            This is an old slow 20 GB disk.

            A example of netio:

            s> # netio -s
            s>
            s> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            s> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            s>
            s> UDP server listening.
            s> TCP server listening.
            s> TCP connection established ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 1k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 1k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 2k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 2k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 4k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 4k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 8k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 8k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 16k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 16k ...
            s> Receiving from client, packet size 32k ...
            s> Sending to client, packet size 32k ...
            s> Done.
            s> TCP server listening.

            c> $ netio -t paard
            c>
            c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            c> connect(): Connection refused
            c>
            c> -bash-3.2$ netio -t paard
            c>
            c> NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
            c> (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
            c>
            c> TCP connection established.
            c> Packet size 1k bytes: 10036 KByte/s Tx, 11258 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 2k bytes: 11182 KByte/s Tx, 11325 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 4k bytes: 13065 KByte/s Tx, 13925 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 8k bytes: 12287 KByte/s Tx, 12121 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 16k bytes: 11946 KByte/s Tx, 11296 KByte/s Rx.
            c> Packet size 32k bytes: 13093 KByte/s Tx, 12817 KByte/s Rx.

            --
            marceln
          • Jens Heinitz
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007

              in order to use find, you need to install the package "findutils". In order to check which packages you have installed you can type:

              ipkg list_installed

              In order to see which packages are available, you can type:

              ipkg list

              in order to update the list of packages available for installation, type:

              ipkg update

              in order to install an additional package, type:

              ipkg install <name of package>
              Example: ipkg install findutils

              Regarding your command "time dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024k count=2048", I'm not sure what cannot be found. Have you tried if the individual files exist?

              ls -l /dev/zero
              time
              dd

              Hope that helps.

              Regards

              Jens

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 11, 2007
                Thanks for information,
                I do have findutils package installed already but "find" command can't be found
                "Tme" command cannot be found as well.
                Thanks again.

                Jens Heinitz <jens.heinitz@...> wrote: Hi,

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
                  Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
                  output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
                  I don't know why it is that slow

                  Netio result:

                  NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
                  (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel

                  TCP connection established.
                  Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.
                  Packet size 2k bytes: 11471 KByte/s Tx, 11458 KByte/s Rx.
                  Packet size 4k bytes: 11485 KByte/s Tx, 11464 KByte/s Rx.
                  Packet size 8k bytes: 11599 KByte/s Tx, 11477 KByte/s Rx.
                  Packet size 16k bytes: 11610 KByte/s Tx, 11508 KByte/s Rx.
                  Packet size 32k bytes: 11551 KByte/s Tx, 11488 KByte/s Rx.
                  Done.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2007
                    On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:34 -0800, lian jian wrote:
                    > Thanks. I use the dd in coreutils,
                    > output <268MB> copied, 341.882s, 785kb/s
                    > I don't know why it is that slow

                    Probably this is the problem!

                    1) What kind of filesystem do you use
                    2) Is this filesystem mounted "async"
                    - Using the sync option gives very bad performance
                    3) Is the disk directly connected to the slug and correctly
                    setup as high speed device.
                    - A usb 1 hub could cause this kind of speed.
                    4) Does the disk contains errors.
                    - Repeated reads/writes on error could also cause
                    serious performance losse.

                    Check what the output of the commands "mount" and "dmesg".

                    > Netio result:
                    >
                    > NETIO - Network Throughput Benchmark, Version 1.23
                    > (C) 1997-2003 Kai Uwe Rommel
                    >
                    > TCP connection established.
                    > Packet size 1k bytes: 11557 KByte/s Tx, 11524 KByte/s Rx.

                    This is probably if you connect the cable direct to the slug.
                    I don't think that a wireless 54 Mbit connection has this
                    throughput.

                    --
                    marceln
                  • lian jian
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Thanks Marcel,

                      I used NTFS as file system. Backup my data to other machine and format my HD with NSLU2 with ext3, overclock the slug, then redo the dd test, now I have 7.7MB/s

                      Jian