Re: [nslu2-general] MS Networking

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
      In message <eq2hh6+jl2n@...>, Kevin Stroud <kcstroud@...>
      writes
      >Hi,
      >
      >I have an NSLU2 that was very slow working with Microsoft Networking.
      >Out of the box it ran V2.R63.
      >
      >I did some research and found this article:
      >http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/print?board.id=Network_Storage&m
      >essage.id=123&page=1&format=page
      >
      >In essence, if you use V2.r25, the NSLU2 responds very well in an MS
      >Networking environment. I followed the instructions and it works great.
      >
      >I would like to change to the Unslug firmware, but as it is based on a
      >latter version of the Linksys firmware, I want to find out if the slow
      >response will come back.

      How do you measure the speed here.

      Unslung firmware version 5.5 is based on an earlier release R29.
      Perhaps your speed problem would be acceptable with this version.
      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
        wrote:

        > In message <eq2hh6+jl2n@...>, Kevin Stroud <kcstroud@...>
        > writes
        > >Hi,
        > >
        > >I have an NSLU2 that was very slow working with Microsoft Networking.
        > >Out of the box it ran V2.R63.
        > >
        > >I did some research and found this article:
        >
        >http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/print?board.id=Network_Storage&m
        > >essage.id=123&page=1&format=page
        > >
        > >In essence, if you use V2.r25, the NSLU2 responds very well in an MS
        > >Networking environment. I followed the instructions and it works great.
        > >
        > >I would like to change to the Unslug firmware, but as it is based on a
        > >latter version of the Linksys firmware, I want to find out if the slow
        > >response will come back.
        > >
        > How do you measure the speed here.
        >
        > Unslung firmware version 5.5 is based on an earlier release R29.
        > Perhaps your speed problem would be acceptable with this version.
        > --
        > Robert Hammond
        > PGP:0x154144DA

        Robert,

        I would open a command line and enter \\NSLU2 and wait for about 1.5
        minutes for a folder list - clicking on a folder in that list produced
        the same result.

        same type of response seen if I accessed the device through network
        neighborhood or any program I used to access stored files on the device.

        I'll take a look at 5.5

        Thank You!