NSLU2 and fstab

  • Charles Chambers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
      I'm running Mandriva 2007 on a computer, and the
      computer has network connectivity.

      I have two of the NSLU2 units connected to the same
      network at 192.168.0.78 and 192.168.0.79.

      Both units have different share names (LINKSYS1 and
      LINKSYS2).

      The first one has a Disk 1 and Disk 2 connected. The
      second one has Disk 1 for the moment connected.

      What are the fstab entries to mount the two drives?

      I've tried:

      //192.168.0.78/"disk 1" /var/public smbfs
      password=guest 0 0

      for the first drive to mount, and Mandriva is
      returning "Line 5 in fstab is bad".

      The line:

      mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.78/"disk 1" /var/public

      works fine, except that I have to give it a password.
      Then "mount" returns the drive as mounted properly
      where I want it.

      What is it that I'm missing? I'd like to mount it at
      boot time without user interaction.

      Be a PS3 game guru.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
        On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 23:21 -0800, Charles Chambers wrote:
        > I've tried:
        >
        > //192.168.0.78/"disk 1" /var/public smbfs
        > password=guest 0 0
        >
        > for the first drive to mount, and Mandriva is
        > returning "Line 5 in fstab is bad".

        The problem is probably the space between "disk" and "1".
        The quotas are special for the shell and are interpreted
        correctly on the commandline.

        This doesn't work in the "/etc/fstab".

        You could change the share names or switch to nfs.

        --
        marceln
      • Charles
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 23:21 -0800, Charles Chambers wrote:
          > > I've tried:
          > >
          > > //192.168.0.78/"disk 1" /var/public smbfs
          > > password=guest 0 0
          > >
          > > for the first drive to mount, and Mandriva is
          > > returning "Line 5 in fstab is bad".
          >
          > The problem is probably the space between "disk" and "1".
          > The quotas are special for the shell and are interpreted
          > correctly on the commandline.
          >
          > This doesn't work in the "/etc/fstab".
          >
          > You could change the share names or switch to nfs.

          The share names as is cannot be changed or deleted.

          There was an obscure trick to getting them to mount out of the box from
          fstab entries. I just can't remember where I found it.

          Thanks
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 00:26 +0000, Charles wrote:

            > The share names as is cannot be changed or deleted.

            Not with the linksys gui.

            You could create a second share without space and use that
            or change it directly in "/etc/samba/smb.conf".

            But be careful. Changing "/etc/samba/smb.conf" will give
            some problems:
            1) It is not persistent over reboots
            2) The linksys interface doesn't understand it

            But it is possible.

            --
            marceln