Re: NSLU2 hangs - very fustrating

  • paulbart1234
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jones_chan" <jones_chan@s...>
      wrote:
      > This is my 2nd NSLU2 and it's behaving like the 1st that I
      returned.
      > It's currently flashed with V23R25.
      > The problem occurs when copying large files (multiple 700MB) to
      > either disks. The connection to the NSLU2 would drop, can't access
      > shares, and cannot establish a connection via the web interface.

      This is similar to the problem I have on *one* of my NSLU2's.
      Whenever I do large file transfers, it disconnects its shares from
      the network, and I have to power-cycle to get things back (power-
      cycle by un-plugging - the power switch on the front 'beeps', but
      never shuts off).

      When it powers back on, I'm not seeing the same problem that you are
      with the disks not being recognized as connected - once I power-
      cycle, it's OK until the next big file xfer.

      My *other* NSLU2 is working just fine so far. I've only got 2 USB
      HDDs - I've moved them back and forth to determine this.

      The one with problems is running V23R25. The one that works is
      running V23R24. I don't know if that's the reason, but it's the
      only difference I can determine (other than possible a hardware bug
      on the one NSLU2).

      I'll try 'downgrading' my 'bad' NSLU2 to V23R24 to see if that fixes
      the problem. I'll report back here with results.

      - Paulb
    • jones_chan
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
        > The one with problems is running V23R25. The one that works is
        > running V23R24. I don't know if that's the reason, but it's the
        > only difference I can determine (other than possible a hardware
        bug
        > on the one NSLU2).
        >
        > I'll try 'downgrading' my 'bad' NSLU2 to V23R24 to see if that
        fixes
        > the problem. I'll report back here with results.
        >
        > - Paulb

        Thanks for the reply Paulb,

        I turned on the NSLU2 last night after letting it sit for a few
        hours. It booted with Disk1 "Installed", but Disk2 "Not Installed".

        I read your comment about downgrading to V23R24, so I tried that
        late last night and it really F'd the unit bad. It doesn't boot
        anymore - the status light continually blinks Amber/Green.

        Got tier 1 tech support on the phone for over an hour and have to
        say it was a waste of time. They couldn't understand that unit does
        not boot so there is no possible way to access the web interface to
        flash the unit. I kept asking if there is any other way of flashing
        this thing and they kept wanting to troubleshoot the unit (swap
        cables, connect PC to NSLU2 directly, etc.).

        I've given up on the NSLU2. I have to applaud Linksys for a great
        idea, but it was poorly executed. There seems to be too many bugs or
        incompatibilities between HD+USB Drive Enclosure+NSLU2.

        Worst of all, I've never had confidence that this unit was
        safeguarding my data once it was on the drive(s). Too often the
        NSLU2 would report my drive(s) as "Not Installed". There's nothing
        worse than the feeling that your data is inaccessible or potentially
        lost.

        I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
        can't see myself using this unit now.

        I wish Linksys would redesign this unit with SATA interfaces and a
        large enclosure capable of storing 4 drives. That I would buy!
      • David Ondzes
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
          On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:21:48 -0000, jones_chan <jones_chan@...> wrote:

          > I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
          > can't see myself using this unit now.

          Have you called their techincal support ? Linksys should support you
          since it sounds like you have only upgraded the firmware.
        • jones_chan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, David Ondzes <dao@p...> wrote:
            > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:21:48 -0000, jones_chan <jones_chan@s...>
            wrote:

            > > I may revisit the NSLU2 in 6 months when it becomes mature, but I
            > > can't see myself using this unit now.
            >
            > Have you called their techincal support ? Linksys should support
            you
            > since it sounds like you have only upgraded the firmware.

            I was on the phone with Linksys tier 1 tech support for over an hour
            late last night - they were useless (see my post). They couldn't
            understand that this unit boots from an embedded linux. Once the
            firmware upgrade got screwed up, the unit can't boot. There's no
            other way to get access to this device other than the ethernet. I've
            heard there's a serial port somewhere on the circuit card (not
            confirmed), but I'm not about to crack this thing open.
          • poporfresh
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2004
              I had the same problems with the NSLU2 hanging on large file transfers.
              (Also hanging when transferring many small files)

              Changing the USB cable on my external HD case was what actually fixed
              it for me. I have no idea why, but (knock on wood) I haven't
              experienced a hang in a couple of weeks where I would usually
              experience it once or twice a day.