Re: Unmodified slug and xbox

  • rookieslug
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2007
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "indypup06" <humpda@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the response. :)
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mark Zander <mark.zander@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is probably a question better directed to the XBMC
      > > <<http://www.xboxmediacenter.com>> group; but since I use a modded
      xbox
      > > and a Slug i'll answer the question.
      > >
      > > The problem is that XBMC does not know much about a guest user
      so you
      > > have to set a default user that it will use to connect with.
      > > So configure a user in the linksys web page with the rights that it
      > > needs for your shared drive.
      > > Then you need to add the smb path to XBMC which can be done 2 ways.
      > >
      > > You can do it via the XBMC gui. Depending on what type of files you
      > > want to access go in to the My Music/My Video/My Program/My Picture
      > page
      > > on XBMC.
      > > Press the 'Title' button on the remote to get the menu. Pick 'Add
      > > Source' and you will get the 'New Source' screen where you can select
      > > 'Browse' and browse your network for the Share that you want to add.
      > > When you find the Share put in your username and password and save
      the
      > > entry. Now the Source will be available at the top level 'My *' page.
      > > The second way would be to FTP to XBMC and edit the 'sources.xml'
      > This
      > > allows you to put in Sources and also you may put in a default
      username
      > > and password. The 'sources.xml' is well commented so read the whole
      > > thing. If you have problems i'd suggest posting to
      > > <<http://www.xboxmediacenter.com>>
      > >
      > > By the way a Slug and XBMC is _the_ killer app combination for
      > > streaming video/music/pictures to your TV.
      > >
      > > Zander
      > >
      > > indypup06 wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi
      > > > I have a friend who has an nslu2 running stock linksys firmware. He
      > > > has been trying to hook the slug directly to his xbox (running
      > > > xbmc)using smb...no routers etc. He can get the xbox to see the the
      > > > data on the slug but constantly gets asked for the smb username and
      > > > password and regardless of what he puts in the problem remains. He
      > > > has checked network settings etc. At this stage is is unwilling to
      > > > unsling the nslu2. Is it possible for the nslu2 to be hooked up
      > > > directly like this? Thanks for your help. Cheers

      Hi,

      Here is an excerpt from my sources.xml:

      <bookmark>
      <name>SMB on SLUG</name>

      <path>smb://MSHOME;mediashare:access@SLUGGISH/media/VIDEO</path>
      <thumbnail>E:\Apps\XBMC\media\slug.png</thumbnail>
      </bookmark>

      This is setup for video. The slug.png is a a thumbnail shamelessly
      stolen from nslu2-linux webpage :)
      For music, programs, etc setup is very similar (but directories are
      different, obviously).

      HTH,
      rookieslug