Problem with Toshiba External Drive

  • pvniftrik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      After reading lots of interesting information amongst others in this
      group, I recently bought the NSLU2, successfully upgraded to Firmware
      V63 and then wanted to connect my new 500GB Toshiba external disk
      (PX1269E-1G50).

      When connecting to USB-2 the NSLU2 indicated that there was a non-
      formatted disk, but I could in no way format the disk

      When connecting to USB-1 the NSLU2 recognized the disk as formatted
      in NFTS, but when I wanted to format it I got the message "Cannot
      Format, Disk 1 isn't HDD".

      The funny thing with the Toshiba drive is that there is a weird
      partition on it, which makes a small part (20Mb)of the disk look like
      a CD-Rom when attached to a Windows XP machine.

      My specific questions are: (1) How can I format the disk with the
      NSLU2? (2) Is there a way to get rid of the 'funny' partition on the
      disk (I think this might be part of the problem).

      Thank you very much in advance.
    • Mat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2007
        Once the partition table is destroyed, the slug shouldn't have any
        problems formatting the drive.

        If you plug it into your pc, then go to the disk management (right click
        my computer -> manage -> storage), then you should be able to delete the
        partitions from there.

        HTH

        Mat

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2007
          Update

          I updated to the Unslung firmware yesterday, after which I could
          successfully format my harddrive.

          Therefore there is no need to waste your valuable time on this
          particular topic.

          Regards
          Patrick

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "pvniftrik" <pvniftrik@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > After reading lots of interesting information amongst others in
          this
          > group, I recently bought the NSLU2, successfully upgraded to
          Firmware
          > V63 and then wanted to connect my new 500GB Toshiba external disk
          > (PX1269E-1G50).
          >
          > When connecting to USB-2 the NSLU2 indicated that there was a non-
          > formatted disk, but I could in no way format the disk
          >
          > When connecting to USB-1 the NSLU2 recognized the disk as formatted
          > in NFTS, but when I wanted to format it I got the message "Cannot
          > Format, Disk 1 isn't HDD".
          >
          > The funny thing with the Toshiba drive is that there is a weird
          > partition on it, which makes a small part (20Mb)of the disk look
          like
          > a CD-Rom when attached to a Windows XP machine.
          >
          > My specific questions are: (1) How can I format the disk with the
          > NSLU2? (2) Is there a way to get rid of the 'funny' partition on
          the
          > disk (I think this might be part of the problem).
          >
          > Thank you very much in advance.

        • sam60
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2007
            Hi all.

            Regarding Toshiba drive 500Gb:

            1- Did you manage to format toshiba 500gb with nslu2 and remove that funny
            partition?
            2- Do i need to upgrade firmware to r73 to to that? Is it necessary to use
            unslug?
            3- if power goes down does toshiba drive powers on automaticaly?

            Thank you very much in advance.

            Sam