Re: [nslu2-general] Unable to access default NSLU2 web interface after firmware reflash

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
      On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 19:45 +0000, atrab12 wrote:
      > I think I successfully reverted to V23R63 firmware after an
      > unsuccessful flash/unslinging of unslung 6.8. I used the manual entry
      > to upgrade mode and upgraded to V23R63 using upgrade_207_XP utility
      > program. All appeared to work satisfactorily. A new device appears on
      > my network as an unidentified device with an IP address of
      > 192.168.0.105. It is not recognizable as an NSLU2 by my network or the
      > original NSLU2 installation CD utility. I can not access it via the
      > adress bar of my browser or by pinging 192.168.0.77, 192.168.1.77, or
      > 192 168.0.105.

      It's really hard to guess what's wrong on basis of this information.

      But maybe i have some tips:
      1) You see that there is a unknown device on your network.
      Please use a network sniffer (e.g. http://wireshark.org/)
      to which packets are on the network
      2) Use a simple cross cable to connect the slug and your
      p.c.
      3) Use a port scanner to check if there are open ports
      4) Try to reflash again and make sure that it really
      works.
      I have some examples how to reflash under linux
      maybe someone with experience could make create
      similar presentations.
      See:
      http://pion.xs4all.nl/~marceln/slug/flash-nslu2.html

      --
      marceln
    • indypup06
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
        Hi
        Running unslung 6.8 on a 1 gig usb flash disk. Wish to change this to
        an external laptop harddrive. There is nothing of any consequence on
        the 1 gig flash disk...just me playing with various optware packages
        and trying different things so it is not necessary to keep. Can I just
        reflash my unit with the unslung firmware and then unsling to new drive
        or is there a another way I need to do this "cross-grade"? Many thanks
        for your time.
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
          Yep. The cleanest way is to reflash, and start from scratch. Note that the
          USB stick will be formatted as a valid root filesystem, so if you ever plug
          it into the NSLU2 after the "cross-grade" (for example, if you wish to
          recover some data), you will have "multiple native drives" on the device --
          see the wiki for cautionary statement on this situation. Best to avoid it
          altogether if you can by reformatting the stick to FAT, as the multiple
          drives can be confusing, and when both contain valid root filesystems for
          Unslung, well, it can get *really* confusing!

          Mike (mwester)