Re: [nslu2-general] Unable to access default NSLU2 web interface after firmware reflash

  • griffoun
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
      I have the exact same problem as yours!!! I called Linksys support twice and
      they failed to help at all. One of them blamed me for not upgrading the
      firmware properly, and ask "why are you upgrading it anyway??"

      Don't bother to contact Linksys support. I recently purchased WRT54GC and
      again their support failed miserabily. I will not purchase another Linksys
      product, EVER. PERIOD.

      I spent three hours last night trying to get help. It was even worse before
      using the SerComm utility - The Linksys Setup Utility was not able to find
      NSLU2 at all. Now that the Setup Utility can find the box, my plan is to
      look for R29 firmware to downgrade my box. If anyone knows where I can find
      a copy, please post the link here!

      atrab12, please also keep me posted if you're making any progress!
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 19:45 +0000, atrab12 wrote:
        > I think I successfully reverted to V23R63 firmware after an
        > unsuccessful flash/unslinging of unslung 6.8. I used the manual entry
        > to upgrade mode and upgraded to V23R63 using upgrade_207_XP utility
        > program. All appeared to work satisfactorily. A new device appears on
        > my network as an unidentified device with an IP address of
        > 192.168.0.105. It is not recognizable as an NSLU2 by my network or the
        > original NSLU2 installation CD utility. I can not access it via the
        > adress bar of my browser or by pinging 192.168.0.77, 192.168.1.77, or
        > 192 168.0.105.

        It's really hard to guess what's wrong on basis of this information.

        But maybe i have some tips:
        1) You see that there is a unknown device on your network.
        Please use a network sniffer (e.g. http://wireshark.org/)
        to which packets are on the network
        2) Use a simple cross cable to connect the slug and your
        p.c.
        3) Use a port scanner to check if there are open ports
        4) Try to reflash again and make sure that it really
        works.
        I have some examples how to reflash under linux
        maybe someone with experience could make create
        similar presentations.
        See:
        http://pion.xs4all.nl/~marceln/slug/flash-nslu2.html

        --
        marceln
      • indypup06
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
          Hi
          Running unslung 6.8 on a 1 gig usb flash disk. Wish to change this to
          an external laptop harddrive. There is nothing of any consequence on
          the 1 gig flash disk...just me playing with various optware packages
          and trying different things so it is not necessary to keep. Can I just
          reflash my unit with the unslung firmware and then unsling to new drive
          or is there a another way I need to do this "cross-grade"? Many thanks
          for your time.
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
            Yep. The cleanest way is to reflash, and start from scratch. Note that the
            USB stick will be formatted as a valid root filesystem, so if you ever plug
            it into the NSLU2 after the "cross-grade" (for example, if you wish to
            recover some data), you will have "multiple native drives" on the device --
            see the wiki for cautionary statement on this situation. Best to avoid it
            altogether if you can by reformatting the stick to FAT, as the multiple
            drives can be confusing, and when both contain valid root filesystems for
            Unslung, well, it can get *really* confusing!

            Mike (mwester)