NTFS and hubs

  • simonhancock1967
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
      Happy New Year everyone!

      I've been runnning Openslung for about a year, mainly to host
      Twonkyvision as a music server. My current setup is an 80GB natively
      formatted EXT3 drive on port1. I've unslung to this disk and it
      holds my music and photos. I also have a 160GB EXT3 drive on port 2
      that acts as a backup for the 80GB disk and my laptop hard drive.

      My next project is to start streaming video, so I'm going to have to
      increase the available storage space. One option is to use the 160GB
      disk to replace the 80GB as my main drive and buy something like a
      200GB drive as a backup drive. I don't really want to discard the
      80GB for no reason and I'll probably want to increase space again in
      the future, so I was thinking about getting a USB hub for port 1 and
      unslinging to an EXT3 flash drive on port2. I understand that this
      would mean that all drives attached to the hub would have to be NTFS.

      I've seen a few comments that there are problems with using NTFS. I
      know I'll lose the shares and access properties, which would be a
      shame, but I've also heard that there are speed issues (and worse)
      when the slug tries to access an NTFS drive. Is this true?

      A third, low-tech, solution for my setup would be to use the slug
      disks as they are connected now, but as my main storage and get a
      separate external NTFS hard disk as my backup and just plug it into
      my laptop when I want to backup. I'd only need to do this when I
      added some new music or a new movie, so it wouldn't be such a great
      hassle.

      Any good advice on the most efficient way to increase the storage
      space on a NSLU2 system?

      Thanks

      Simon
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:21 +0000, simonhancock1967 wrote:
        > Happy New Year everyone!
        >
        > I've been runnning Openslung for about a year, mainly to host
        > Twonkyvision as a music server.

        What are you running?

        You may choice between "openslug" or "unslung" but not "openslung"?

        > My next project is to start streaming video, so I'm going to have to
        > increase the available storage space. One option is to use the 160GB
        > disk to replace the 80GB as my main drive and buy something like a
        > 200GB drive as a backup drive. I don't really want to discard the
        > 80GB for no reason and I'll probably want to increase space again in
        > the future, so I was thinking about getting a USB hub for port 1 and
        > unslinging to an EXT3 flash drive on port2. I understand that this
        > would mean that all drives attached to the hub would have to be NTFS.

        You can use the 80 GB disk on port 2 as unslung disk. You don't need
        a flash disk for that.

        You can attach more then one "ext3" disk behind a hub which is
        connected to port 1.

        The current setup doesn't automatically mount those disks but
        you can mount them with the mount command. After that you have
        to make sure that they are shared.

        You can put these commands in startup files so that it is done
        on startup.

        > I've seen a few comments that there are problems with using NTFS.

        I have done some test with ntfs and concluded that it will hang under
        heavy disk writes.

        > Any good advice on the most efficient way to increase the storage
        > space on a NSLU2 system?

        With some hacks it should be possible to support 3 ext3 disks.

        --
        marceln
      • simonhancock1967
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>
          wrote:

          > On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 11:21 +0000, simonhancock1967 wrote:
          > > Happy New Year everyone!
          > >
          > > I've been runnning Openslung for about a year, mainly to host
          > > Twonkyvision as a music server.
          >
          > What are you running?
          >
          > You may choice between "openslug" or "unslung" but not "openslung"?

          What was I thinking? Of course I meant 'unslung'!

          > > My next project is to start streaming video, so I'm going to
          have to
          > > increase the available storage space. One option is to use the
          160GB
          > > disk to replace the 80GB as my main drive and buy something like
          > > 200GB drive as a backup drive. I don't really want to discard
          the
          > > 80GB for no reason and I'll probably want to increase space
          again in
          > > the future, so I was thinking about getting a USB hub for port 1
          and
          > > unslinging to an EXT3 flash drive on port2. I understand that
          this
          > > would mean that all drives attached to the hub would have to be
          NTFS.

          > You can use the 80 GB disk on port 2 as unslung disk. You don't
          need
          > a flash disk for that.

          That's the way it's set up at the moment. I wanted to separate the
          unslung firmware from my data, so it will be easier when I want to
          remove a drive and replace it with a bigger one.

          > You can attach more then one "ext3" disk behind a hub which is
          > connected to port 1.
          >
          > The current setup doesn't automatically mount those disks but
          > you can mount them with the mount command. After that you have
          > to make sure that they are shared.
          >
          > You can put these commands in startup files so that it is done
          > on startup.

          I'm only just starting to get to grips to Linux (I've installed
          Ubuntu on a cheap old PC to practice on!). Are these simple commands?

          > > I've seen a few comments that there are problems with using NTFS.
          >
          > I have done some test with ntfs and concluded that it will hang
          under
          > heavy disk writes.
          >
          > > Any good advice on the most efficient way to increase the
          storage
          > > space on a NSLU2 system?
          >
          > With some hacks it should be possible to support 3 ext3 disks.

          Are you refering to the manual mounting of disks you mentioned above
          or something else? I thought your above suggestion would allow me to
          support 3 ext3 disks...

          > --
          > marceln

          If I connect an ext3 disk behind a hub and they are not mounted
          automatically,
        • Marcel Nijenhof
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
            On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:40 +0000, simonhancock1967 wrote:

            > I'm only just starting to get to grips to Linux (I've installed
            > Ubuntu on a cheap old PC to practice on!). Are these simple commands?

            Yes.

            mount <dev> <dir>

            > > With some hacks it should be possible to support 3 ext3 disks.
            >
            > Are you refering to the manual mounting of disks you mentioned above
            > or something else? I thought your above suggestion would allow me to
            > support 3 ext3 disks...

            Just type de manual mount commands in a startup script and it is done
            at startup.

            > If I connect an ext3 disk behind a hub and they are not mounted
            > automatically,

            As far as i know ext3 disks which aren't native nslu2 disks
            aren't mounted automatically.

            PS mwester:
            - Can you confirm this
            - Is it possible to get the automount working
            for ext3 as well?

            --
            marceln