Unable to access default NSLU2 web interface after firmware reflash

  • atrab12
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2007
      I think I successfully reverted to V23R63 firmware after an
      unsuccessful flash/unslinging of unslung 6.8. I used the manual entry
      to upgrade mode and upgraded to V23R63 using upgrade_207_XP utility
      program. All appeared to work satisfactorily. A new device appears on
      my network as an unidentified device with an IP address of
      192.168.0.105. It is not recognizable as an NSLU2 by my network or the
      original NSLU2 installation CD utility. I can not access it via the
      adress bar of my browser or by pinging 192.168.0.77, 192.168.1.77, or
      192 168.0.105. I tried it both with and without my Norton 2007 firewall
      enabled. I am an admitted network novice and may be missing something
      simple. Can anyone help. I am stuck unless I can acess the
      configuration page again. I may have mistakenly sent this post to the
      discussion group. If so my apologies. I am reposting it here.
      Thanks,
      Mike
    • griffoun
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
        I have the exact same problem as yours!!! I called Linksys support twice and
        they failed to help at all. One of them blamed me for not upgrading the
        firmware properly, and ask "why are you upgrading it anyway??"

        Don't bother to contact Linksys support. I recently purchased WRT54GC and
        again their support failed miserabily. I will not purchase another Linksys
        product, EVER. PERIOD.

        I spent three hours last night trying to get help. It was even worse before
        using the SerComm utility - The Linksys Setup Utility was not able to find
        NSLU2 at all. Now that the Setup Utility can find the box, my plan is to
        look for R29 firmware to downgrade my box. If anyone knows where I can find
        a copy, please post the link here!

        atrab12, please also keep me posted if you're making any progress!
      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2007
          On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 19:45 +0000, atrab12 wrote:
          > I think I successfully reverted to V23R63 firmware after an
          > unsuccessful flash/unslinging of unslung 6.8. I used the manual entry
          > to upgrade mode and upgraded to V23R63 using upgrade_207_XP utility
          > program. All appeared to work satisfactorily. A new device appears on
          > my network as an unidentified device with an IP address of
          > 192.168.0.105. It is not recognizable as an NSLU2 by my network or the
          > original NSLU2 installation CD utility. I can not access it via the
          > adress bar of my browser or by pinging 192.168.0.77, 192.168.1.77, or
          > 192 168.0.105.

          It's really hard to guess what's wrong on basis of this information.

          But maybe i have some tips:
          1) You see that there is a unknown device on your network.
          Please use a network sniffer (e.g. http://wireshark.org/)
          to which packets are on the network
          2) Use a simple cross cable to connect the slug and your
          p.c.
          3) Use a port scanner to check if there are open ports
          4) Try to reflash again and make sure that it really
          works.
          I have some examples how to reflash under linux
          maybe someone with experience could make create
          similar presentations.
          See:
          http://pion.xs4all.nl/~marceln/slug/flash-nslu2.html

          --
          marceln
        • indypup06
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
            Hi
            Running unslung 6.8 on a 1 gig usb flash disk. Wish to change this to
            an external laptop harddrive. There is nothing of any consequence on
            the 1 gig flash disk...just me playing with various optware packages
            and trying different things so it is not necessary to keep. Can I just
            reflash my unit with the unslung firmware and then unsling to new drive
            or is there a another way I need to do this "cross-grade"? Many thanks
            for your time.
          • Mike (mwester)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2007
              Yep. The cleanest way is to reflash, and start from scratch. Note that the
              USB stick will be formatted as a valid root filesystem, so if you ever plug
              it into the NSLU2 after the "cross-grade" (for example, if you wish to
              recover some data), you will have "multiple native drives" on the device --
              see the wiki for cautionary statement on this situation. Best to avoid it
              altogether if you can by reformatting the stick to FAT, as the multiple
              drives can be confusing, and when both contain valid root filesystems for
              Unslung, well, it can get *really* confusing!

              Mike (mwester)