Re: torrent

  • Adrian Pirciu
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "leguani" <leguani@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I want to use my nslu2 as a torrent download station. I've installed
      > rtorrent and it works, except for the fact that it doesn't download or
      > upload anything (chunks of files are seen and I can see peers). I've
      > seen many other people are having this problem.

      I had the same problem, even some more problems (strange error
      messages) with rtorrent. It's marked BAD on my list though looked
      promising...

      > So I started using enhanced-ctorrent. The problem with
      > enhanced-ctorrent is that it just stops at a certain time.
      > And even if I set the options to stop seeding after a ratio of 1, it
      > stops when the download is complete.

      Yup, same thing here... Looked fine until it stopped working...

      > I start ctorrent with the following options:
      >
      > enhanced-ctorrent -C 4 -E 1 -e 72 file.torrent
      >
      > Then it start checking and as you can see, the torrent is completed:
      >
      > Already/Total: 687/687 (100%)
      > Listening on 0.0.0.0:2706
      >
      > Download complete.
      > Total time used: 0 minutes.
      > Seed for other 72 hours or to ratio of 1.000000.
      >
      > / 0/0/0 [687/687/687] 0MB,0MB | 0,0K/s | 0,0K E:0,0 Connecting
      >
      > But then it just quits...
      >
      > I've read a lot of things about it and eventually I want to start
      > using rtorrent. Does anyone have is running on unslung 6.8? Or do I
      > have to install Debian?

      I dunno about that but I found transmissioncli (the command-line part
      of the transmission torrent package) and it works flawlessly, if you
      can get used with the limited information, statistics or features it
      has. So far, on unslung 6.8, I used it for the last week (10 torrents
      ~ 20 GB of data) and it's just ok, not a single error, and it seems I
      can live without the statistics. It also consumes VERY LITTLE memory
      (rtorrent consumes much more). And it took me only half a Saturday to
      make a simple webinterface in Perl for it :) (for those interested, I
      can publish it as a demo, though I am not a programmer and it doesn't
      look that great).

      If there are people around that use other torrent clients
      (succesfully) on unslung 6.8 beta, please answer on this thread, cause
      I (and possibly more people) lost already too much time trying to make
      rtorrent or ctorrent work and maybe you have other solutions.

      > Thanks in advance.

      Adrian
    • leguani
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
        Thanks Adrian,

        I just gave up on it and started using btget with screen. It's not
        nice, but at least it doesn't crash (after adding some more swap
        space). I'll give Transmission a try (it was my last option, but I
        didn't have much hope after all other clients just crashed)...
        Maybe you can give us a look into your Perl code to see if we can use it?

        Thanks a lot.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Pirciu" <adixor@...> wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "leguani" <leguani@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I want to use my nslu2 as a torrent download station. I've installed
        > > rtorrent and it works, except for the fact that it doesn't download or
        > > upload anything (chunks of files are seen and I can see peers). I've
        > > seen many other people are having this problem.
        >
        > I had the same problem, even some more problems (strange error
        > messages) with rtorrent. It's marked BAD on my list though looked
        > promising...
        >

        > > So I started using enhanced-ctorrent. The problem with
        > > enhanced-ctorrent is that it just stops at a certain time.
        > > And even if I set the options to stop seeding after a ratio of 1, it
        > > stops when the download is complete.
        >
        > Yup, same thing here... Looked fine until it stopped working...
        >

        > > I start ctorrent with the following options:
        > >
        > > enhanced-ctorrent -C 4 -E 1 -e 72 file.torrent
        > >
        > > Then it start checking and as you can see, the torrent is completed:
        > >
        > > Already/Total: 687/687 (100%)
        > > Listening on 0.0.0.0:2706
        > >
        > > Download complete.
        > > Total time used: 0 minutes.
        > > Seed for other 72 hours or to ratio of 1.000000.
        > >
        > > / 0/0/0 [687/687/687] 0MB,0MB | 0,0K/s | 0,0K E:0,0 Connecting
        > >
        > > But then it just quits...
        > >
        > > I've read a lot of things about it and eventually I want to start
        > > using rtorrent. Does anyone have is running on unslung 6.8? Or do I
        > > have to install Debian?
        >
        > I dunno about that but I found transmissioncli (the command-line part
        > of the transmission torrent package) and it works flawlessly, if you
        > can get used with the limited information, statistics or features it
        > has. So far, on unslung 6.8, I used it for the last week (10 torrents
        > ~ 20 GB of data) and it's just ok, not a single error, and it seems I
        > can live without the statistics. It also consumes VERY LITTLE memory
        > (rtorrent consumes much more). And it took me only half a Saturday to
        > make a simple webinterface in Perl for it :) (for those interested, I
        > can publish it as a demo, though I am not a programmer and it doesn't
        > look that great).
        >
        > If there are people around that use other torrent clients
        > (succesfully) on unslung 6.8 beta, please answer on this thread, cause
        > I (and possibly more people) lost already too much time trying to make
        > rtorrent or ctorrent work and maybe you have other solutions.
        >

        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >

        > Adrian

      • biffa001
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          I am happily using enhanced-ctorrent with ctcs (the web front end) to
          download torrent's on my unslung 6.8 beta slug.

          When I run a torrent I don't normally use the extra commands to set
          how long to seed etc, I just leave it to use the standard settings,
          which I believe will automatically seed for 72 hours unless you say
          otherwise.

          The only problem I get every now and then is that a torrent won't end
          when I tell it to from the CTCS web front end and I have to quit using
          a command line option.

          Basically, CTCS and enhanced-ctorrent was the only reliable way I
          could get torrents downloading on my slug. I can happily leave it to
          download 1 or 2 at a time.

          Now if someone managed to work out how to get the program to
          auto-queue torrent's from a specific folder that would be ace. I could
          ditch my M$ Windowz Utorrent program for good :-)

          > If there are people around that use other torrent clients
          > (succesfully) on unslung 6.8 beta, please answer on this thread, cause
          > I (and possibly more people) lost already too much time trying to make
          > rtorrent or ctorrent work and maybe you have other solutions.
          >

          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >

          > Adrian

        • Vidar Tysse
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            > Now if someone managed to work out how to get the program to
            > auto-queue torrent's from a specific folder that would be ace. I could
            > ditch my M$ Windowz Utorrent program for good :-)

            Someone (Whaly) posted a script for this in the nslu2_linux list some
            time ago.

            I have adapted that script for my own use. See attached file
            autorrent.sh.
            To set it up, change "autorrent-root" in the paths to fit your setup and
            then create these directories:

            /your-torrent-root/torrents/torrents/queue/low
            /your-torrent-root/torrents/torrents/queue/high
            /your-torrent-root/torrents/processing
            /your-torrent-root/torrents/done

            The script is started from unslung/rc.local and will run forever:

            su autorrent-user -c "sh /autorrent-root/autorrent.sh"

            Replace "autorrent-user" with the user that should run the script and
            enhanced-ctorrent. Make sure that this user has full access to
            /your-torrent-root/ and subdirectories (e.g. use your Windows user).

            Now you can queue a new torrent by dropping the torrent file into the low
            or high directory depending on its urgency.

            The script will process queued torrents sequentially, picking from high
            first and from low only when high is empty. Regretfully it will only let
            you have one torrent active at any given time, i.e. no further
            downloading until the current torrent has finished seeding. Extending
            the script to support two or three "processing" directories shouldn't be
            that big a task though.

            --
            __Vidar__
          • Vidar Tysse
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              > Someone (Whaly) posted a script for this in the nslu2_linux list some
              > time ago.
              >
              > I have adapted that script for my own use. See attached file
              > autorrent.sh.

              Sorry, I forgot the attachment. Hope I remember this time...

              --
              __Vidar__

              begin 666 autorrent.sh
              M(R$O8FEN+W-H"B-S970@+7@*(PHC($%U=&]M871I8R!4;W)R96YT($1O=VYL
              M;V%D(%%U975E($UA;F%G97(*(R *(R!3=&%R="!F<F]M('5N<VQU;F<O<F,N
              M;&]C86PZ("!S=2!V:61A<B M8R B<V@@+W9I9&%R+V%U=&]R<F5N="YS:"(*
              M(PH*9V5T3F5X=$9I;&4H*0I["@EC9" D5$]24D5.5$1)4@H)5$]24D5.5$9)
              M3$5?1E5,3%!!5$@]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R
              M96YT(B!\(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B+R(@+68@,BU@"@E43U)214Y4
              M1DE,13U@9FEN9" N("UM87AD97!T:" R("UN86UE("(J+G1O<G)E;G0B('P@
              M:&5A9" M;B Q('P@8W5T("UD("(O(B M9B S+6 *?0H*(R!-86EN(&)L;V-K
              M('-T87)T<PH*5$]24D5.5$1)4CTB+W9I9&%R+W1O<G)E;G1S+W%U975E(@I7
              M3U)+1$E2/2(O=FED87(O=&]R<F5N=',O<')O8V5S<VEN9R(*1DE.25-(141?
              M1$E2/2(O=FED87(O=&]R<F5N=',O9&]N92(*0TQ)14Y4/2(O;W!T+V)I;B]E
              M;FAA;F-E9"UC=&]R<F5N="(*0TQ)14Y47T]05$E/3CTB+4,@-" M92 R-" M
              M4R!L;V-A;&AO<W0Z,C<X,"(*=VAI;&4@6R Q(%T[(&1O"@EG971.97AT1FEL
              M90H)=VAI;&4@6R B)%1/4E)%3E1&24Q%(B A/2 B(B!=.R!D;PH)"6UV("(D
              M5$]24D5.5$9)3$5?1E5,3%!!5$@B("173U)+1$E2"@D)8V0@)%=/4DM$25(*
              M"0EE8VAO("143U)214Y41DE,12 ^("143U)214Y41$E2+U=O<FMI;F<N='AT
              M"@D))$-,245.5" D0TQ)14Y47T]05$E/3B B)%1/4E)%3E1&24Q%(@H)"6UV
              M("173U)+1$E2+RH@)$9)3DE32$5$7T1)4B\*"0ER;2 D5$]24D5.5$1)4B]7
              M;W)K:6YG+G1X= H)"6=E=$YE>'1&:6QE"@ED;VYE"@ES;&5E<" V, ID;VYE
              4"@HC($UA:6X@8FQO8VL@96YD<PH`
              `
              end
            • Vidar Tysse
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                >> Someone (Whaly) posted a script for this in the nslu2_linux list some
                >> time ago.
                >>
                >> I have adapted that script for my own use. See attached file
                >> autorrent.sh.
                >
                > Sorry, I forgot the attachment. Hope I remember this time...

                Sure I remembered, I just forgot to save it before attaching it. Aaaargh.
                Here's the one that fits with the description.

                --
                __Vidar__

                (I will go to sleep now!!!)

                begin 666 autorrent.sh
                M(R$O8FEN+W-H"B-S970@+7@*(PHC($%U=&]M871I8R!4;W)R96YT($1O=VYL
                M;V%D(%%U975E($UA;F%G97(*(R *(R!3=&%R="!F<F]M('5N<VQU;F<O<F,N
                M;&]C86PZ("!S=2!A=71O<G)E;G0M=7-E<B M8R B<V@@+V%U=&]R<F5N="UR
                M;V]T+V%U=&]R<F5N="YS:"(*(PH*9V5T3F5X=$9I;&4H*0I["@EC9" D5$]2
                M4D5.5$1)4@H)5$]24D5.5$9)3$5?1E5,3%!!5$@]8&9I;F0@+B M;6%X9&5P
                M=&@@,B M;F%M92 B*BYT;W)R96YT(B!\(&AE860@+6X@,2!\(&-U=" M9" B
                M+R(@+68@,BU@"@E43U)214Y41DE,13U@9FEN9" N("UM87AD97!T:" R("UN
                M86UE("(J+G1O<G)E;G0B('P@:&5A9" M;B Q('P@8W5T("UD("(O(B M9B S
                M+6 *?0H*(R!-86EN(&)L;V-K('-T87)T<PH*5$]24D5.5$1)4CTB+V%U=&]R
                M<F5N="UR;V]T+W1O<G)E;G1S+W%U975E(@I73U)+1$E2/2(O875T;W)R96YT
                M+7)O;W0O=&]R<F5N=',O<')O8V5S<VEN9R(*1DE.25-(141?1$E2/2(O875T
                M;W)R96YT+7)O;W0O=&]R<F5N=',O9&]N92(*0TQ)14Y4/2(O;W!T+V)I;B]E
                M;FAA;F-E9"UC=&]R<F5N="(*0TQ)14Y47T]05$E/3CTB+4,@-" M92 R-" M
                M4R!L;V-A;&AO<W0Z,C<X,"(*=VAI;&4@6R Q(%T[(&1O"@EG971.97AT1FEL
                M90H)=VAI;&4@6R B)%1/4E)%3E1&24Q%(B A/2 B(B!=.R!D;PH)"6UV("(D
                M5$]24D5.5$9)3$5?1E5,3%!!5$@B("173U)+1$E2"@D)8V0@)%=/4DM$25(*
                M"0EE8VAO("143U)214Y41DE,12 ^("143U)214Y41$E2+U=O<FMI;F<N='AT
                M"@D))$-,245.5" D0TQ)14Y47T]05$E/3B B)%1/4E)%3E1&24Q%(@H)"6UV
                M("173U)+1$E2+RH@)$9)3DE32$5$7T1)4B\*"0ER;2 D5$]24D5.5$1)4B]7
                M;W)K:6YG+G1X= H)"6=E=$YE>'1&:6QE"@ED;VYE"@ES;&5E<" V, ID;VYE
                4"@HC($UA:6X@8FQO8VL@96YD<PH`
                `
                end
              • dazealex
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Adrian,

                  I am trying to write Web frontend for dnsmasq. And was wondering if
                  you could share your PERL code with us? It maybe help me get started.
                  Also, if anyone knows of an existing frontend, please advise!

                  Thanks.

                  Daze

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Pirciu" <adixor@...> wrote:

                  > I dunno about that but I found transmissioncli (the command-line part
                  > of the transmission torrent package) and it works flawlessly, if you
                  > can get used with the limited information, statistics or features it
                  > has. So far, on unslung 6.8, I used it for the last week (10 torrents
                  > ~ 20 GB of data) and it's just ok, not a single error, and it seems I
                  > can live without the statistics. It also consumes VERY LITTLE memory
                  > (rtorrent consumes much more). And it took me only half a Saturday to
                  > make a simple webinterface in Perl for it :) (for those interested, I
                  > can publish it as a demo, though I am not a programmer and it doesn't
                  > look that great).
                • leguani
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Hi Adrian,

                    I've got Transmissin working now. I haven't set up gnuplot and
                    logrotate yet. But the interface is not very clear to me. I understand
                    the workflow (source - work - target). But I do not understand the
                    options (purge, remove, etc). And how can I see the ratio?

                    Thanks.